Trackpad unable to drag and drop

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ThunderRoad, Nov 8, 2013.

1. ThunderRoad macrumors member

Hi all, I've got a mid 2009 MBP which I upgraded to Mavericks on launch day. Since then however, certain parts of my trackpad have been playing up. I'm no longer able to drag and drop items such as folders etc, nor am I able to highlight portions of text. Basically anything requiring dragging is not working as it used to.
    Help would be appreciated!

2. MacInTheCrack macrumors member

3. ThunderRoad thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help. What does that mean exactly though? And is it safe? Apologies if these are stupid questions.

4. JorgeLomeli macrumors regular

JorgeLomeli

System Preferences> Accessibility> Mouse And Trackpad> Trackpad Options> Check "Enable Dragging" and with Drag Lock. ;)

5. ThunderRoad thread starter macrumors member

Hasn't worked unfortunately.

6. MacInTheCrack macrumors member

No worries. Not a stupid question.. It is safe. Shut the computer down and make sure your Magsafe Power Adapter is plugged in. Press Shift - Control - Option and the Power button all at the same time. Just a quick press and release. Don't hold down long enough to turn the computer on. Watch the light on the power adapter and see if it flickers. If it did, it was successful. Boot back up and see if the track pad world properly. Good luck!

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It could be a coincidence it started when you installed mavericks. I have the same issue but I know it's a hardware problem. You can try opening it up and adjusting the screw that controls the clicking.

8. ThunderRoad thread starter macrumors member

Performed as you said and got the flash etc but unfortunately it didn't work.

----------

Willing to give anything a go at this stage. What should I do when adjusting it, does it need to be tightened I'm guessing?

9. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yes, looks like it. Although it says you need a special screwdriver, people around here say they've been able to do it with a flathead.

http://www.macservice.com/blog/2012/08/macbook-pro-trackpad-clicker-screw/

If it works for you let me know, it'll give me motivation to do the repair myself. :)