Trackpad users, Feel like switching to "Natural Scrolling"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by onthecouchagain, Mar 24, 2012.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

After using the iPad, when I go to my Air, I start scrolling the wrong way. Have any of you switched to the "Natural" scrolling direction on your laptops or trackpads?

2. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

iOS made me do that.

3. samac92 macrumors 6502a

Yep used it since Lion came out. Also it's more consistent with the rest of the OS like launchpad, as it makes clicking and dragging to change pages the same direction as scrolling.

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

5. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I love it but most people don't lol
    I think it make senses :)

6. yegon macrumors 68020

It's fine with a trackpad....but feels totally wrong with a mouse.

7. urkel macrumors 68030

There's nothing "natural" about scrolling a digital screen in the first place so whether scrolling up or down, double clicking, multi finger gesturing or whatever else is all learned behaviors. So switching it after decades of training users doesn't really make sense.

That said, I enjoy living within the Apple ecosystem so I have recently switched to "natural" and got accustomed to it within day's. But it still doesn't feel "natural" since it doesn't match the way PCs or older macs perform the same function.

8. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

natural scrolling on a touchpad or touchscreen is the "natural" way to do it and is analogous to moving a piece of paper on a table. If I take my finger and move piece of paper. I move my finger down to view the top of the page, and up to view the bottom of the page.

I have consistently felt we are being warmed up a MacBook Touch, or at least secondary displays where our trackpads are currently located.

I do agree that "natural scrolling" is awkward at best for a scroll wheel, but Apple doesn't care in the least since they dont offer a scroll wheel.

9. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

+1 EXACTLY how I feel.

If Apple would provide an option to set it different for scrolling mouse the normal way I'd be very happy. I used natural scrolling from the start. In fact, it doesn't feel write to use the trackpad without natural scrolling for me.