Trackpad VS. Mighty Mouse

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wayland1985, Dec 9, 2008.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

Anybody else find the use of a mouse completely irrelevant when using a trackpad? I spent $80 on a wireless mighty mouse when I bought this thing since I just a wired mighty mouse so much with my Powerbook...

But with the gestures, the mighty mouse has just been a waste for me! (Now, if only they allow the full gestures of a late 2008 MBP, so I can use expose too!)

2. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

I only use a mouse when gaming or some other activity that requires precision (image editing for example). Otherwise, like you, I actually find the trackpad more enjoyable to use.

3. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I absolutely hate apple's mouses. They're uncomfortable and very pricey for what you get (that's apple for ya :rolleyes:) I prefer to use the Logitech MX Revolution. To answer your original question, I like the trackpad because of the gestures, but I would rather use it all the time, than have to use the apple mighty mouse. I only use my logitech mouse when I'm playing games, video editing, or photo editing.

4. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

The shape of the new Mighty Mouse is VERY uncomfortable. Gestures FTW!

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I agree. Wish they made a standalone bluetooth gesture pad. Now that's an idea.

Only time I use the mouse is in clamshell mode but I much prefer the trackpad.

6. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

Ive allways prefer a mouse , it makes me control of the situation

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Apple mice are not the cutting edge technology with thousands of cheap buttons. That is what Logitech excels at. Cutting a hole for buttons everywhere they possibly can. I like the MM for its simplicity and shape. Very ergonomic. Logitech mice have all this cutting edge technology and you spend more time learning how to use, than using it normally. It's a mouse, not a keyboard. There's no need for so many buttons.

8. OmahaGTP macrumors member

Yes, dear god, look how ugly this thing is.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/3271&cl=us,en

An application switch button? Who in the world would ever use such a thing?!

9. Kevster89 macrumors regular

Kevster89

I, as well, bought a wireless Mighty Mouse to use with my MacBook Pro. However, I have used it once and never even think about using it because I enjoy using the trackpad so much.

In fact, until I saw this thread you created, I forgot that I even had a wireless mighty mouse!

10. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

LoL... The reason I created it (Other than being on a thread creating spree) is becuase I was cleaning my desk off, and it was stuck under a pile of junk mail.

I also think the trackpad alone is a reason to use a Mac vs Windows computer. With a PC, I feel like you NEED the external mouse, since navigating is MISERABLE.

11. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Ye I wish they made a really really big trackpad that you could connect via USB. It would be silver and have only one button man I've been thinking about that since the unibodys came out.

That would be sick
    ChrisN

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I like the wireless MM. Can't beat the robustness of OS X's bluetooth with the wireless keyboard and wireless MM. The only thing I hate is that in order to register a right click, i have to lift both fingers and tap down the right area a bit violently in order for it to register. The scroll ball is great too and the middle click is pretty responsive but it gets dirty really quick and won't let you scroll down until you clean it out.

13. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

I have a BT MM, and I have used it over the last year quite a lot. I switch back and forth between the trackpad and the MM all the time. Since getting my Pro I haven't used it as much, but that mostly has to do with not yet getting back into my groove.

In my office I also have an iMac, and I run synergy, which allows me to use it's MM and keyboard to control the Macbook Pro. Now that is pretty sweet. The iMac has a 20" cinema display connected as a dual monitor setup, so I can mouse across two screens, then onto the MBP. When I'm in that setup I never touch the trackpad.

Normally I'll switch off a bit. Mouse with the MM and do some gestures on the trackpad.

At home I do the opposite. I use a wireless BT keyboard so that I can put my legs up and relax, then reach over to the trackpad to do all my mousing.

14. Crash1234 macrumors regular

With the new late 08 trackpad I rarely use my mighty mouse. In the past I always needed an external mouse with my laptops b/c I really dislike regular trackpads, even the ones on the previous mb/mbp models. I just can't stand having to have my thumb rested on the button or having to bring my hand back to hit the button, plus my fingers never really glid across those things quickly and comfortably so they just slow me down. But the new track pad is fantastic, I actually prefer it to my mighty mouse.

15. six.four macrumors 6502

First - the might mouse is just a terrible mouse. It was clearly made with aesthetics in mind and not ergonomics or function. Between the mighty mouse and the trackpad on my MBP - I'd take the trackpad any day.

The VX nano mouse you linked is an ambidextrous mouse - I'm not a particular fan and it's too small for my hands.

I am currently using a VX revolution on my MBP and a MX518 on my desktop. I found the VX revolution the most comfortable mouse for me - over desktop mice such as the MX revolution/g9/ razer deathadder/diamondback/MS habu. Mouse ergonomics is largely subjective - so to each his own. I only wish the VX Rev. had the same receiver as the VX nano.

I love the giant trackpad on the unibody MBP, but I would go with my VX revolution mouse over the trackpad any day. Assigning expose and spaces to the two thumb buttons makes working on several spaces a breeze. These days, though, I find myself using a combination of mouse and trackpad gestures. Now just waiting for multiclutch to support 4 fingers............