Trackpad vs Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nefan65, Mar 14, 2011.

1. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

I did a quick search, but didn't find what I was looking for...anyway, here's the scoop. It's a combination of a question, and observations...

I have a 13" MBP [2010], running SL. Like every other laptop I've owned [Windows, Mac, et-al], my first addition is that of a mouse. Probably because of my past experiences with Windows laptops, and them having fair - good trackpads, I always felt the need for one. Since using an updated MBP, I've found that the Trackpad is quite good. In fact, very good. Between the precision and gestures, it has everything. I did find a bit of a learning curve. Or it could be that habits [good or bad] are hard to break. In any event, I did try a Magic Mouse, and recently a Logitech V470. The MM was nice, but tracking was a bit odd. The V470 had better tracking, but to be honest...felt "cheap". Very light, and cheap feel to it.

So...those are my observations. The questions are "Has anyone else experienced this?" Did you move solely to the Trackpad, or do you still use a mouse? Did you find a similar experience to mine?

Thanks in advance...

2. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

When i bought my macbook i firstused a netbook mouse i found lying around. But the i started using the trackpad and havn't felt the needof a "real" mouse

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

The trackpad is nice, but I don't think any trackpad will ever replace the feel of a mouse. I know Apple is trying very hard with Lion and the Magic trackpad, but still.

If you like the feel and experience of a mouse, you'll need to get one.

4. nefan65 thread starter macrumors 65816

nefan65

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'll need to try it a bit using both, and see how the process goes. I realize it's a personal choice, but didn't know if I was the only one who was considering it or not.

Many thanks!

5. Terrador macrumors regular

If I could...when I order an iMac this year...I'd get it with the trackpad and no mouse. Unfortunately Apple does not offer this combination at the present time. But you see how strongly I feel about trackpad vs. mouse.

The trackpad doesn't have to physically move. The trackpad offers more intuitive gestures. I might be a little biased because I've used MacBooks all my life and only one desktop with mighty mouse, but I think my logic overlooks that little fact. I don't feel like moving my arm, scraping a mouse across my desk, etc. Trackpad is more enjoyable for me to use.