Trackpad wasn't working, had to "force shut down"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by denvers, Sep 11, 2012.

1. denvers, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

denvers macrumors newbie

I'm a new mac user and I've just bought my MBP 13" 2 weeks ago.

Just a few minutes ago, a message popped up saying something like "the disk was not ejected properly...(non-verbatim)"

Note: My ipad and ipod were both connected to my MBP and I thought the message was just pertaining to the idevices being accidentally "unplugged" (I did not actually unplug it (not even accidentally) but I just thought that I might have accidentally "touched" the sync cable/s that triggered the message.)

It wasn't actually the problem since I know how 'usual' that is (even on my past computers). When I clicked "ok" on the dialogue box (the one that popped up) my trackpad suddenly won't move (It did not even execute the "ok" command since the dialogue box remained).

I google-d the problem and found nothing but I found the Shift-Control-Option-Power combo instead which I did in a heartbeat and it turned off my MBP and I just restarted it. The problem is now gone but here are my questions/problems.

1. Diagnosis on my trackpad problem/ or the "the disk was not ejected blabla dialogue box" ??

2. what is the Shift-Control-Option-Power combo? I'm sorry I know it's beyond stupid to just press keys you do not even know but I semi-panicked, okay? Now, will that hurt my computer?
    :confused:

Edit:
    Note: I am quite sure that the computer WAS not freezing then since a facebook message went through while all these were happening (and the clock still worked). It's just the trackpad (and the keyboard) that died.

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Little weird as the phone (and I would assume the iPad) can be removed with ejecting it, you didn't have anything else plugged in there? Did you also try using the keyboard to confirm the "ok" on the dialogue box? Additionally, you just forced a restart of your computer, similar to Alt+Control+Delete in windows, it's not exactly great to do all the time, but you also don't really have to worry about it messing your computer up, I've had to do the force restart with the power button on my macs and am fine.

3. denvers, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

denvers thread starter macrumors newbie

Just my ipad and ipod and the power adapter. Nothing more. And yes I tried pressing enter but it won't budge I also tried switching windows (cmd, shft, tab) and that, too, didn't work so I knew by then that the whole trackpad and keyboard is dead but I'm not sure if the MBP was since a facebook message to me passed through while this was happening.

And thanks for answering number 2 :)