Trackpad Wear Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ugahairydawgs, Jun 21, 2010.

1. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Question about the track pad...

I got my MBP a little over a week ago. By the middle of last week I started to notice a spot on the track pad where the area I've run my fingers across it the most has started to wear off a layer of coating or something. The spot has started to grow.

Is this normal for the MBP track pad? I've had several PC laptops before and have never seen anything like this happen on any of them.

2. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

no, i would replace it. its made of glass so their shouldn't be any wearing. at least not that soon. do you have pictures u can upload?

3. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

That's what I thought. It is at home right now....I'll take some pictures later on and upload them to see what folks think.

Luckily I'll be in Atlanta this weekend, so a trip to the Apple store wouldn't be a problem.

4. hasek3139 macrumors 6502

the only wear ive seen on an MBP track pad is from greasy fingers. so id recommend making sure i have clean hands b4 using ur mac :)

5. ano0oj macrumors 6502

yah it could be due to oily fingers...these trackpads are supposed to be wear resistant

6. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I can't say for sure, but I'm about 99% sure that it's oil from your fingers.

7. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Is the surface of it different from track pads on other laptops? I ask because this has never been an issue before. I am pretty anal retentive when it comes to trying to keep my laptop clean, so it is safe to say food (or anyone eating food) is nowhere near my laptop.

8. turugara macrumors regular

The MBP is definitely not like other window's laptops or older macs. My Rev A Macbook Air had noticeable wear on the center of the trackpad after a year. My 2008 MBP's trackpad is exactly the same as when I first got it. Glass doesn't really wear that quickly.