Trackpad Wonky

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmizzy, Aug 27, 2015.

1. bmizzy macrumors newbie

First Time Mac User, long time Windows Dude... Bought a brandnew Macbook Pro 2015 about 2 months ago. Normally very happy with it, but finding lots of strangeness lately. Examples:

1. When using Chrome, if I attempt to click anything on the Menu Bar (MightyText, for example), it does not recognize the click. The Icon changes as if I clicked it, but nothing happens beyond that. *Sometimes*, if I hard-press and get the secondary click, it might work. This is common across all extension icons on my Chrome screen. I have removed and reinstalled, but to no avail.

2. Sometimes, when I click something, absolutely nothing happens. Example: I attempted to open an email in Mail earlier. Click, double click, hard click, etc... Nothing works. Switch focus, come back, and it works again.

3. Same things as #2 above, but also with Keyboard. It works 99% of the time, but for some reason, the focus has to be moved off, then moved back for it to work.

As I am still new to Mac, I would appreciate any insight / direction. I'm considering a total reset, if nothing else....

Help?

2. PolygonWRLD macrumors newbie

PolygonWRLD

sounds like an issue with the force touch to me I would try the reset to see if that does anything. If that fails then definitely take it into Apple

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I don't think it's hardware. The fact that icons change to appear to have been clicked and it works after changing the focus of the app seems like it's something buggy in the software. You could try reinstalling OS X (not necessarily a clean install, just download the Yosemite installer from the App Store and run it again).

If it still plays up after that, create a new user account and use it for a few days and see what it's like. If it's fine, chances are it's something to do with an app or piece of software you installed. If it still isn't fully working, it could be hardware. I'd call Apple and set up a Genius Bar appointment.

4. interfreak macrumors regular

interfreak

5. bmizzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Update on this... The Chrome Extension *work* when I'm using a external mouse. Does *not* work when using the Trackpad.

Example: I have a Logitech Unified Mouse plugged in, and can click all Chrome Extensions with zero trouble. The submenu pops up, and I can select the option and chug right along.

Move to the Trackpad, slide the mouse pointer over the exact same Chrome extension, and it does depress (changes to show it's being pressed), but it does not recognize the click programatically. It's as if I did nothing once I release the trackpad click.

I don't *think* I've seen this behavior in other applications, but I might have overlooked it as there does sometimes appear to be a lag in my keyboard where I type and have to wait as long as 5 seconds before the words appear on the screen. Again, I don't recall the delay with my bluetooth keyboard... only the built-in one.

6. Aneef macrumors regular

Aneef

I've also noticed this behaviour in my 2014 rMBP 15" non-Force touch trackpad using Safari. Sometimes when u tap or click, the link doesn't open. Then if I try to pinch and zoom-in or zoom-out and then try clicking again, the clicking works.

7. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Depending on your point of view the good news is that this sounds like a software issue. It might be bug fixed, it might not. But at least you can be confident in the physical build quality of your machine.