Trackpad won't work on start up

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Halcyon, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

Ok, I honestly don't remember if it was always like this or this behavior just started after updating to 10.5.7.

When I start my MacBook and it gets to the Login screen, the trackpad won't "fully" work. What I mean by this is that I can move the cursor around with the trackpad but I can't click (or double click) with a tap on the pad, to select with which account I want to log in. To perform this last step I have to use the click bar below the pad to select the account.

What gives? Normal behavior or bug?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Sounds like a bug, have you tried resetting the SMC?

3. dkh587 macrumors regular

Mine has done that for a while. Not sure if it's always been like that though. I just figured that until you logged in an account, the default settings for the trackpad would be in effect on the login screen.:confused:

4. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Someone else is mentioning an issue with tap-to-click not sticking on their MacBook Pro since 10.5.7. I thought it may have been a multitouch kext issue. Obviously, you're on a MacBook, and you're having slightly different issues, but it may be related.

edit: I just checked (I don't normally use tap to click). I checked on tap to click, logged out. I can not choose focus with the tap to click.

I wonder if tap to click is simply a user level feature and hence is not active during login (when no user is logged in).

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You know, I've never used the trackpad to login, as my user is the default, I just enter the PW and hit the enter key. Now that I logged out and tried clicking, tap-to-click does not work, I had to press the trackpad (UMB 2.0ghz).

I guess it is a user-defined setting, and unavailable at the login screen. Too bad that's a "new feature" in 10.5.7 for others though =\

6. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

What can I say, beside...I'm glad I'm not alone on this :)

7. viperguy macrumors 6502

Mine doesn't work as well.
    Sounds like it only loads trackpad prefs after login is complete.