Trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alex_ivaylov, Aug 16, 2016.

1. alex_ivaylov macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I took my MBP 15 retina (late 2013) laptop to the beach. The problem is that the left click doesn't work any more (it feels like it is always pressed down). When I use the laptop it is not always pressed down but it randomly clicks whenever it likes. I suspect this is caused by some sand going into the trackpad but i might be wrong.

The first question is: can this sand be cleaned some how?

And the second question is: if i decide to change the trackpad, can I install one of the newer model ones with 3d force touch?

thanks a lot,
    Alex

2. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

Sure. The touchpad is right under the battery.

No, you cannot install a Force Touch touchpad.

3. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

You'll have to remove the battery to clean it out. Are you sure that your battery isn't expanding and causing the problem?

As far as I can tell the cable routing is different between the 2013 and 2015 models, the new one most likely won't fit.

4. alex_ivaylov thread starter macrumors newbie

This is weird but it fixed itself. It could be the battery because it is now down to 46%. During my holiday the laptop has traveled a lot (via plane, bus, train and car). It has been on hot weather as well as cold air conditioned hotel rooms. At the same time it has been in tight space together with the rest of my luggage in a tight bag.

I will charge the battery tonight and see if it inflates again.

Thanks a lot for the help.

5. alex_ivaylov thread starter macrumors newbie

This has turned into a disaster. I followed a youtube video on how to remove the battery (which is glued). I did remove it but I bended it in the process. It was fine before i touched it (no swelling/inflating). But now I am worried I might have damaged it. After reading all the warnings about battery explosions/fires I have decided it is best replace it with a new one. The touchpad itself is damaged. It wasn't clicking even after the battery was completely removed.

I was reading somewhere that this battery is not meant to be replaced and when I go to an Apple Store - they would replace the whole top part (including battery/trackpad and keyboard). Is this correct?

Does that mean that the price I see on Apple's website for battery replacement service will be the total of what this would cost to be fixed by them?

I asked in the online chat but they couldn't help.

6. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

It's fine. After installing the new touchpad, use adhesive strips to reattach the old battery.

7. alex_ivaylov thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I fixed the old trackpad (it just needed to be cleaned) but now the battery says "Replace Now". And it won't charge. It was working perfectly before and it used to hold like a whole day. I didn't bend it that much but I used 99% alcohol to loosen the glue. So probably I have damaged something.

I tried doing a SMC reset but I don't know if it worked or not. Is there a way to find out?

CoconutBattery is saying that I have full capacity but it still won't charge and it is sitting on 0 mAh. I did drain it intentionally before the repair.

8. !!! macrumors 6502

The drain combined with the bending most likely caused it to fail. I wouldn't use that battery anymore.