trackpads and other handicap features for the disabled

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tessie, Oct 24, 2008.

1. tessie macrumors newbie

I am a quadrapeligic with only the ability to use my right arm and my fingers are bent with paralysis so I'm wondering how user friendly the mouse is on macbooks. Can you control the mouse easily without having it do erratic things? How is the sensitivity level? Can you use it without having to apply a lot of pressure with your fingers and can you set the mouse for your preference level? You see, I am use to using a touchpad on my Dell and click the left or right mouse button to do what I want with a computer.

Also, does the Mac OS have features to make settings for the disabled as Windows does? Is there such a thing as sticky keys feature on the Mac OS like there is in Windows' Control Panel under "Accessibility"?

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

The trackpad for the new MacBooks does not have separate buttons. The entire trackpad can be clicked or tapped and act as a giant button.

Can you control the mouse easily without having it do erratic things? How is the sensitivity level?
    ---I've used the trackpad on various MacBooks and they are easily controlled. The only issues I've had is if I had moisture on my hands or static electricity, but that has the same affect on PC trackpads I've used.

Can you use it without having to apply a lot of pressure with your fingers and can you set the mouse for your preference level?
    ---On the new MacBooks you can change the settings so that you just tap/touch instead of having to press and click the trackpad.

You see, I am use to using a touchpad on my Dell and click the left or right mouse button to do what I want with a computer.
    ---Also you can, set a corner of the trackpad to register as a right click when tapped.

Also, does the Mac OS have features to make settings for the disabled as Windows does? Is there such a thing as sticky keys feature on the Mac OS like there is in Windows' Control Panel under "Accessibility"?
    ---There's a setting for sticky keys. Instead of Control Panel it's called System Preferences and instead of Accessibility it's called Universal Access on Macs

Here's a couple of links with more info on Universal Access:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Access
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbuiyycDtmY