Trade 15" rMBP for 13" rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gagecloutier, May 19, 2013.

1. gagecloutier macrumors member

I posted my Mid 2012 15" rMBP (QC i7 2.3 8/256) on craigslist because a couple of weeks ago, I purchased a maxed out 27" iMac (QC i7 3.4 32/3TB Fusion/680MX 2GB). The dilemma I'm facing since I got the iMac is I feel like my 15" rMBP is too big and powerful (and superfluous) for my needs. Someone locally on craigslist is interested in trading their 13" rMBP for my 15" rMBP and said they would also pay cash in addition to that for the difference in value. Do you think a 13" rMBP would fit into my setup better? Also, is the 13" all that much more portable than the 15" or should I just go to the extreme with something like an 11" MBA?

The 15" rMBP is AWESOME, don't get me wrong, it's just a much better primary machine than it is a secondary machine. I'm hoping the 13" rMBP would be a better secondary machine.

I realize as a primary machine, the 15" rMBP is superior from a performance perspective in every imaginable way, but I would like to compromise some of that performance for more portability, as my iMac now takes care of 90%+ of my intensive applications/tasks.

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

What are the specs on the 13"?

It sounds like a deal I would take in those circumstances. I've only ever bought 15" MBPs but the 13" Retina is an impressive little machine. The only thing preventing me from buying one is that by the time you spec one with enough storage to use it as a primary machine you're in 15" price territory- this would be less of an issue with a new iMac on hand (mine is 6 years old).

3. gagecloutier thread starter macrumors member

It's the base 13" rMBP... DC i5 2.5 8/128. Seems like a pretty good way to go. I'm just waiting to hear from them how long the ALW is valid through because I know I'll want to buy AppleCare for it if I pull the trigger!

4. syd430 Guest

yes the weight difference is definitely enough to have a practical effect. It wouldn't make much difference in a backpack, but picking up both machines from the base, the difference in weight is quite substantial.

5. gagecloutier thread starter macrumors member

Well, I've been talking with the craigslist person back and forth and they're just wanting to do a straight-across trade. I was hoping that they'd pay some cash for the difference in value. I want to do it, but it's not a wise financial/investment decision to step down to something less valuable, with no other compensation. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens with these Haswell MBA/MBPs next month at WWDC (hopefully) and then I can sell my 15" rMBP elsewhere. I have to admit, an 11" Retina MBA would probably be my dream laptop, considering I have a 27" iMac maxed-out to the gills.

6. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Who are they going to fool? You don't buy a 15" rMBP without being aware of the $700 difference between sizes.

7. gagecloutier thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, exactly. That would entirely work to their advantage, but not do a whole lot for me, except take a pound or two off my back. I can wait for a better opportunity to come along. Thanks for your input though!

8. BL4zD macrumors 6502

I wouldn't waste time with an 11" MBA.

I thought it would be the perfect size for my wife but the person who sold us her 13" MBA suggested we go to the store and test both before buying. His opinion was that the 11" was just too small because it basically cuts all web pages in half horizontally. When she tested them both out she could see he was right.

The 11" would only be useful in cramped spaces for typing--like on a bus, train, or plane. I don't think the differences in size are even large enough to downsize from a 13" to an 11" MBA even if I was traveling extensively.

I doubt there will ever be an 11" rMBA because it seems like the text/screen would be too small (as opposed to iPad's touch interface where such high pixel density is workable).

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Straight trade. Oh hell no. You're better off selling yours separately and buying someone else's off Craigslist.

A better straight trade would be:
    Sell yours for x amount
    Buy a new one from Apple or BH (no tax if not in NY)
    You may not gain any money but at least it will be new with a full year of warranty.

10. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

I'd actually be offended by that.

11. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yes, err... no.

What exactly is this mysterious "setup"?

12. gagecloutier thread starter macrumors member

Did you not read my original post? I have a 27" iMac (QC i7 3.4 32/3TB Fusion/680MX 2GB) maxed out. Since I've gotten it, I've felt like my 15" rMBP is a bit overkill. I bought my 15" rMBP with the intention of it being my primary machine, but now it's become my secondary machine and seems like a bit much. I do 90%+ of my intensive things on my iMac, so what's the point of having such a beast of a laptop as well? It's overkill. I'm losing value/investment on it by not using it to its fullest capability.

13. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yes I did. But one's needs go beyond the nuts and bolts. Nowhere do you mention what you actually use these machines for. :confused:

Perhaps it's the iMac that's overkill. Or... maybe any laptop is too much and something as simple as an iMac/iPad combination would work? Sometimes "more" is not always better. Just throwing it out there.

14. gagecloutier, May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013

gagecloutier thread starter macrumors member

The 15" rMBP was originally used to handle my needs in FCPX, Logic Pro, Lightroom, the Adobe CS, Maya, Unity, and software development (I'm a CIS major) in Xcode, Eclipse, Visual Studio, etc. However, I found that since having my 27" iMac, I do the majority of that stuff in a desktop situation, not on the go. I might do some programming on my laptop, but for the most part, that doesn't get too intensive to justify a quad-core CPU or discrete GPU. I know at the minimum, I need the maxed-out 27" iMac. Cutting it out of the equation is out of the question. I'm just trying to get a laptop that's a little less bulky (not that the 15" rMBP is a rock, it's just awkward to bring everywhere). I'm willing to compromise some of the performance I'm getting in my laptop to regain a bit of portability by either stepping down to a 13" rMBP or even an 11" MBA once they get refreshed with Haswell chips.

I entertained the idea of the iMac/iPad setup and while I love my iPad 2, as a college student, I can't quite get by with it. Working on team collaborative projects, taking notes, etc. is just not quite as practical as having a laptop at this time, for me at least. Plus, I can't code on an iPad, plain and simple.

Ultimately, I'm looking for a setup to satisfy both extremes. I would like an 11" MBA since it's so tiny and I could bring it along anywhere and then come home to my massive 27" iMac, which is a beast of a machine. Right now I feel like I have two "primary" machines and it just seems like overkill.

TLDR; I only need one beast, not two. It's superfluous.

If you're still puzzled, this should give you a better idea of what I'm trying to go for: http://tpitale.com/dream-setup-imac-and-macbook-air.html

15. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Based on your needs, I can't see you relinquishing the Desktop unit.

If you're already using an iPad, this tells me you're comfortable using a display size less than 11" so I think the MBA11 is a good idea. Of course for the sake of mobility you won't be taking the bulk of your CPU intensive work with you (which you already know).

Personally, I could never find a "niche" for the iPad so I gave mine up. A MBP13 and 27" external monitor gives me what I need on all fronts. Aside from Maya, I use much of what you listed.

16. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I still can't believe he bought the iMac so close to the Haswell refresh.

I'd have waited for the refresh and, ahem, 'made do' with the rMBP.

Terrible decision buying the iMac at this stage.

17. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Not necessarily, we don't know how much he paid for it..... ??? :confused:

18. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

mmm.... I think you should ask at least 400 bucks more.... however with a big desktop I guess that a 13 air or a 13 rMBp will perfectly fit your needs...

19. twingo macrumors regular

15 Retina is the best machine Apple has to offer.
    So the best thing you can do is to give away the iMac and the iPad 2 :D

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the iMac is your main machine and you need a portable for some light usage when you're mobile, the 13" is probably the better option. Before pulling any trigger is go to your local apple store and work with the 13" machine. See if the small screen is viable for how you expect to use it.

As for a straight trade (no cash) between the two machines, don't do it, the 15" is more expensive computer.