Trade 15" rMBP for 27" iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sonicrobby, Sep 20, 2013.

1. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

This is more of "trading advice" but this subforum seemed most appropriate.

I have 2 15" rMBPs (the second one purchased before I got a chance to sell my first). The specs of the one I am selling is 2.6GHz, 512GB SSD, 8GB RAM. Its a 2012 with a samsung screen with warranty until nov 30 of this year. I was looking to get 1700 out of it (but locally - I dont want to deal with paypal, fees, or shipping). I've already gotten an offer of $1650, but Im not too content with that (yet).

Another person offered me a trade, a 2011 27" iMac, 3.4GHz, 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM, +keyboard and mouse of course. Applecare Warranty for 3 more weeks. This I am kind of considering, as I partly wanted an iMac, though I wanted the new sleek 2012 models. I could probably take the cash and get a refurb 2012 base model (1635 after tax and shipping).

I was just wondering what your opinions are. I am partly looking for something that I could resell easily later but still retain its resale value best (which I know would be the rMBP since its a newer model year). But also if Im not even going to use my second rMBP, I might as well try an iMac that Ive been wanting that I may play with every now and then.

I know its my decision, and to some of you the choice may be obvious and to some not. I just want to ask this: Say you are in my position (have a main rMBP, and a second rMBP you are looking to sell; You dont necessarily need the money, nor do you need the iMac, but its something youve kind of wanted to try out). What would you personally do?

2. kokako macrumors regular

It's up to you, personally I wouldn't the desktop is a dying form factor, the iMacs are lovely but resale on a rMBP and most mac laptops trumps the iMacs regardless how new they are.
    You can always pair the rMBP with a 27" Thunderbolt display and have the best of both worlds.
    All the best.

3. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

You make a good point, laptops also seem to have a higher demand than desktops. As for the display, I prefer not to spend $700 on a monitor :x Its beautiful and all, but for that kind of money, I would prefer put up a little more to get the full desktop independent of another device. But thanks! I think Ive made my decision to sell it and maybe even wait for the new 2013 models to be released and put on the refurb store by years end.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm not sure how you got "good point" from that. Less popular means something is less good is a nonsense point. For what a thunderbolt display costs, I would buy an NEC unless you want the thunderbolt hub feature. The current thunderbolt displays use the older imac screen treatment. If the reduction in glare is significant, it won't be present on the thunderbolt display. I haven't compared them, so I'm not sure what to say. Early problems should be worked out by now. I'm a little puzzled by the reasoning here. If I could easily tolerate a lapse, I just wouldn't bother buying a new machine a month or two later.

5. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

The point is from: why get the iMac, use it for a few months, and sell if for less that I could probably get for my rMBP at the same time. Im not looking for a display, I love the screen of the 15" I dont need any more space for what I do. And its not about tolerating a lapse, my decision is to sell it. If I so choose to buy a new model later, I still have the option to, whereas if I got the iMac now, I get something I kind of wanted, but not what I really wanted to try.