Trade? 2009 MBP for 2011 MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crazytrain9913, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Crazytrain9913 macrumors newbie

I have been offered to trade my MBP for a MBA and need some help deciding what to do. I love my machine, I just can't help feel it's getting older. Im looking for my best option for the next few years...

My MBP:
    late 2009 15" Matt MBP
    Core 2 Duo 2.8
    4 GB Ram
    500 GB HD
    Apple Care: Expired

Trade for??:
    2011 13" MB Air
    1.7 i5
    4 GB Ram
    128 GB SSD
    Apple Care: 2 years left

Is this a good deal for me? I have also considered putting a SSD in my machine to give it a new spark, but this offer seems appealing to get a newer machine, and stay under apple care. Will be used for home/work...Internet, iLife, MS Office, and light photo editing for the most part.

Your opinions are appreciated!

2. ScholarsInk macrumors regular

Personally, I would jump on it. The processor on that MBA is very decent and the only real step back (to my mind) is the loss of storage (balanced out by gaining the SSD) — that can always be remedied with something external. For what you describe, I would imagine the Air would do everything even more smoothly and without even a sacrifice of screen real estate given the resolution on that model.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I concur

4. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

I would do that trade in a heartbeat , you getting an amazing trade

5. leman macrumors 604

I can only agree with the others before me. This deal is amazing. You get a lighter machine with a faster CPU, slightly faster GPU, much faster SSD. And with WARRANTY. Take it!

P.S. The person offering the trade must be out of their mind...

6. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I agree... I'd make sure I knew this person. Seems to good to be true.

7. Crazytrain9913 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I was thinking it was a good deal, now you made me feel better about doing so.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

As long as the Air is in good shape, it's a respectable deal. The igp in the 2011 wasn't very good, yet the 2009 mbp gpu options were also bad. Sandy Bridge compared to Core2 is quite a difference.