Trade battery longevity for weight?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SteveJobs2.0, Mar 22, 2012.

1. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

As I type this from iPad 3, I can't help to think that I would have traded 1 hour of battery life for keeping the weight the same as iPad 2. I have both next to me right now and despite the difference between the two being small, the iPad 2 weight feels much more comfy. Agree?

2. connoisseur macrumors member

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

This issue could be argued either way, forever.

Every product is a compromise of decisions. Apple chose the criterion, they convinced the public, so there's no point in arguing or discussing it.

It is what it is.

4. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Actually, I wouldn't mind it being even slightly heavier if the battery lasted longer.

5. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Really? It's 10 Grams. That's 10 small paperclips. You are joking correct? 10 GRAMS more is just too much? If its too heavy for someone, they may need to examine their exercising habits.

6. SteveJobs2.0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not that it's heavy. It's that I experienced the good life with iPad 2. It would be the same as going back from a retina to a non-retina screen. Hold the two side by side and the inference is fairly striking.

7. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

So the difference in weight (and thickness) isn't noticable?

8. SteveJobs2.0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't feel the thickness. It is heavier without a doubt.

9. UrsaMajor macrumors regular

Yeah I would rather a few oz more weight and longer battery.

Way too short with LTE and graphics rolling.

10. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

10 grams for an hour is little to ask.

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

In general iPads are toooooooooo heavy.

Yes please shrink the battery. Or release the 7" ipad.

12. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

Apple has gone with battery life and technology over weight since the first iPad was released. iPads simply won't get noticeably lighter without significant advances in battery and cell technology. Think of the battery that will be needed to power an "A6" chip.

13. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

How about trading the weight for the retina screen? Thats what it boils down to. All the weight and battery life is tied dirctly to supporting the retina screen

14. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

If battery life dropped, people would be talking about how Jobs is spinning in his grave -- oh wait, they're doing that now.

15. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

+1. I would glady accept an even heavier iPad if the battery lasted longer, especially considering the exponential increase in charging time.

16. scottw324, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

scottw324 macrumors 6502

No

----------

Mine charges in about 5 to 6 hours which is pretty much the same amount of time it took for my iPad 2 to charge. Be sure you do a full discharge and then recharge for at least one or two cycles and the battery life should be what you're looking for, about 10 hours. Issue with people only getting like 5 to 7 hours of battery time is because they have the brightness at max and all the antennas turned on when even Apple doesn't do their test at full brightness. I think it's Engadget.com the does the battery life tests in the past and the even do their test with 50% brightness, LTE or 3G turned off, Wi-Fi only, maybe Bluetooth on and all the did was loop a movie over and over again until the iPad dies or whatever tablet they happen to be testing. I don't know if they've actually tested theiPad 3 yet, I'll have to take a look at their website, but I am sure they're going to probably come up with the same kind of results, 10 to maybe 11 hours of video playback.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/16/apple-ipad-review-2012/

Almost 10 hours of video playback on 50% brightness and LTE/HSPA+ on. If Wifi only was used I am sure it would be over 10 hrs

17. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I'd add more weight if it could increase the charging speed. The weight doesn't bother me at all.

18. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

you cannot tell a few grams by holding things side by side.

especially since you have one stronger arm. ;)

19. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Yea, I always do the charge and discharge cycles. However, I'm not sure what was up with your iPad 2 but mine took almost half the time to fully charge that it takes with the iPad 3. It's not a deal breaker, as the battery life is still superb but I was just agreeing with the poster that if Apple made it last longer and I just had to deal with a little extra weight I wouldn't mind.