Trade?: Blackbook for Powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eidrunner247, May 28, 2007.

1. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

Okay, quick question, maybe some other people may be able to throw in some advice. I have the opportunity to trade my powerbook (see sig)

1.67 Ghz, 2Gb Ram, 128mb video, 100 GB HD 15" Powerbook for

13" Macbook Black Core Duo 2Ghz 80Gb HD, 1GB Ram, and 46days left on warranty.

This is happening on craigslist. Already spoke with the buyer on the phone. He is credible. I haven't been using my powerbook for much "power" apps anymore, video or gaming, and was wonding if a more portable, more recent computer wouldn't be better. At the same time, I am not a fan of getting a revision A computer... Any thoughts? Should I go through with it? Any other questions I should ask first? Who would be getting the better end of the bargin? Plus, with Santa Rosa around the corner, I don't want the value to drop.
    My computer is solid, he doesn't have any problems with his though. thanks.

2. opensourcerules macrumors newbie

3. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Don't do it, the Core Duo MacBooks are plagued with problems.

Don't do it!

Rich.

4. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

do the trade and buy applecare before the 46 days is up. The extra 2 years of warranty would take care of the whole gen 1 thing. I would also think the screen format and ability to run leopard better (I'm making an assumption that Leopard will run better on an intel vs. G4) would all come into play. My question would be why is the other guy pursuing this? What's wrong with his puter that he is willing to trade down?

also, upgrading the drive and ram in the black book is a piece of cake and you're not limited to the 120gb drive size. Just popped a 160gb into a friend's macbook.

5. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Don't do it the core duo like other people said has tons of problems.

6. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Keep your powerbook. No need for that gen Macbook right now.

7. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

What work do you do on your PowerBook?

I work with Video, and my PowerBook 1.67 is still a very capable machine. I do need more RAM at the minute (1 GB currently), but i'm always surprised at just how capable it still is, 2 years on.

If you are considering the swap just because it's a newer computer, with two processors, doubt yourself!

The Core Duo portables are not worth letting go of a perfect G4 PowerBook.

Amen.

Rich.

8. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I've had my CD MB for 7 months and never had any problems with it. What are the problems that the original MBs have?

9. VintageMac macrumors member

I'm planning to buy a MacBook, but now you've got me wondering-- saying there are all these problems-- are these problems primarily with the Core Duo or also with the Core 2 Duo?

Vintage

10. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Only the Core Duo :)

11. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

I'd do it. The Macbook is much faster than the Powerbook, and the Blackbook is pretty sleek. I use a Macbook CoreDuo at work and I've never had any issues. Sold my 17" Powerbook for a 15" MBP (+ cash) and I couldn't be happier.

12. discodave macrumors member

I wouldn't do it.

However, that being said, what people are saying about Gen 1 MB's is a load of BS. There are plenty of 1st Rev CD MB's with ZERO faults. That includes mine, which has been flawless in every respect since day one.

13. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

What makes this guy credible, the fact that he has a phone and a voice?

I wouldn't do it- there is no reason a person would be getting rid of a Macbook- I would stick with your workhorse until you upgrade, then do it from a credible company. (You also support Apple by buying a new computer at some point rather than just trading.):apple: :D

14. munckee macrumors 65816

I don't really see a problem with it. Though, to offer another option, you've got a pretty fully loaded powerbook there. You could probably do pretty well selling it outright on CL, then buy yourself a refurb C2D macbook and you're done worrying. A bit more hassle, but it might be worth the peace of mind.

Or, as someone else said, slap the applecare on the used one and don't worry about it (beyond keeping a faithful backup).

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

These people are crazy! I'd do the trade, but only if he bought AppleCare, registered it, and traded the MB for your PowerBook + the cost of the Applecare. Essentially, I'd want to make sure I was getting Applecare.

That, or sell your PowerBook like munckee said, and buy a refurb MacBook of some sort.

The Rev A Core Duo MacBooks have lots of problems (including mine, but I'm not vocal about it....starting threads to vent and such), but many of them don't, including the MBs my friends own. :)

16. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

ditto that. no problems with my rev. a blackbook.

17. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Is the BlackBook hot perhaps? (as in stolen :eek:)

18. jnash macrumors regular

do the MBP core duo's have as many problems as the macbook core duo's?