Trade iBook for Tablet PC?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 342539, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 342539 Guest

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums but have a quick question: I have a friend who wants to trade me his iBook G4 (800MHz processor with 640MB RAM) for my Fujitsu ST4110 tablet PC. I'm very tempted but want to hear what people here think, too. Is it a good deal for me or a bad deal? How much is an iBook with that configuration worth? Thank you for your help!

By the way I forgot to add that neither of the computers have any problems.

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

You can pick up an iBook G4 on eBay for $250.
    But, OS X is OH so much more stable than Windows. It's really your decision. If the ability to write on your notebook is extremely important, then keep the Fujitsu.

3. 342539 thread starter Guest

Thanks for the quick response! Writing on the screen isn't very important to me, and I know it's hard to go wrong with a Mac. :) I just didn't want to trade my computer for a cheaper one. Do you know of any complaints with this model and if it is possible to replace the video memory for a higher capacity? And since it doesn't have built-in iSight, are there any drivers for the Logitech QuickCam Express out there? I couldn't find on Logitech's site. Thank you for your help!

4. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

5. 342539 thread starter Guest

Thanks for the link! I think I will go ahead and do the trade. The only problem is that I have a Dell Photo All-In-One 962 Printer that is connected via USB to a computer running Windows XP and is shared with Windows Printer Sharing. I've had an older PowerMac G3 tower for a while and had tried connecting to the printer with SMB but it never worked (it would just print a blank page). There were no Dell drivers for Mac, however I read somehwere that the printer is a rebranded Lexmark X7170. After downloading the latest drivers for Mac from Lexmark it would still print a blank page. Do you have any other suggestions?

6. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

7. 342539 thread starter Guest

On Craigslist I found a guy who wants to trade his Titanium PowerBook G4 for my tablet PC. The PowerBook has a 500MHz processor, 15" screen, and 512MB RAM. I'm definitely going to take one of the offers, but which one is better? I'd assume the iBook is better because it has the faster processor, more RAM, and is a newer model, but I may be missing something. Thanks for the help!

8. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I believe the powerbook would have a bit of a better graphics card, But its unlikely either machine could run many games that are new anyway, so thats really an insignificant problem. The ibook would probably be faster. The CPU wont matter to greatly since there only 300mhz apart, although on an older machine it may make a slight difference. The ram should be the deciding factor, Or at least, it would be for me. If all your looking to do is basic tasks, I believe either machine would do you fine. If you want more screen real estate I'd say go with the power book. If thats not a concern to you, than go for the ibook.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.