Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by robertdsc, May 28, 2014.

1. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

Separate from the other trade idea thread, I have a setup of my own.

If I had the following setup, would it be enough for a straight trade of a G5 DP 2.0?

MDD 1 GHz DP
    1GB of RAM (4x256MB; can go to 4x512MB if necessary)
    2 120 GB IDE drives in the main drive cage, no drive cage in secondary area.
    64MB GeForce Mx video card with ADC/VGA connections.
    Stock SuperDrive (Can add an Apple CD-R burner if necessary.)
    Completely updated Tiger 10.4.11 installation. (I don't have Leopard.)
    A fresh install of OS 9.2.2 can be added if necessary. This Mac was the last bootable Mac for OS9.

23 inch Apple Cinema Display (1600x1024 resolution.)
    White Apple Pro Keyboard.
    White Apple Pro Mouse.

I ask before I begin the process of taking pictures and posting ads on CL. I've already re-formatted the two drives and installed Tiger. Everything works and this Mac is surplus, so I'm considering trading it to get a G5.

What do you think?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

As much as I wish you luck. Not many people will trade a G5 for a G4 unless they are a collector with a hole in their collection. That is a nice system though.

Personally, I would sell the G4 but keep the monitor. You can use the monitor on the G5. Then buy a G5 with the cash!

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Honestly here, you aren't even close.

Unless the G5 you are wanting to trade for has no hard drives, no ram and no video cards I can't see this.

The processor alone is not an even trade. You're offering two 120GB hard drives. The G5s use SATA and you can find 1TB drives cheaply now. The rest, with the exception of the Cinema Display don't add much.

OTOH, if you find someone whose looking for a G4 system that is capable of booting in to OS9 then for that person the trade would work.

I got my Quicksilver for $50 and three iBook G3s. The iBooks meant nothing to me (no offense iBook fans, just not my taste) but the guy who took them really likes iBooks. So, the trade worked for us. But for the upgrades it (the Quicksilver) had, the three iBooks ordinarily would not even have come close.

Maybe if you advertise it, make the point that as an OS9 system it's pretty good.

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

5. robertdsc thread starter macrumors regular

robertdsc

Los Angeles.

6. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Would you be willing to sell just the monitor, and if so, how much?

Also, is it the Aluminum one or the acrylic one?

7. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

This deal if that is an Aluminum Display...

no no no no no

That display is worth $150 on the low side. A 2GHz G5 is nowhere near or worth that. The display is worth more. Now if it's acrylic, then it may be a slightly better deal.

Edit: You have the 22" Cinema Display (1600x1024), the only 23" apple ever made was 1920x1200 (the acrylic or aluminum).

8. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Well, I was gonna make a cash offer. However...

After looking, that is the original Cinema Display in Acrylic.

9. robertdsc thread starter macrumors regular

robertdsc

Thanks, folks.

I'll figure out what to do with this Mac with the info provided.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What are your ideas?

11. robertdsc thread starter macrumors regular

robertdsc

Convince someone to trade a low-end DP G5 for the monitor with DVI adapter included.

As for the MDD, I don't know. I have an MDD Dual 1.25 already serving as a backup machine, so I really don't need this Mac. Conceivably, I could use it in place of my DA 466 as a storage server, but I actually pride myself on that DA because it was the first Mac I built myself. It has sentimental value as well, as it was a gift from my old boss.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Also check your Goodwills and shopgoodwill.com. You sometimes have to refresh your browser a couple of times to load the page.

13. robertdsc thread starter macrumors regular

robertdsc

In reading through Craigslist ads, I'm pondering a G5 system with no hard drives, RAM, or video card. According to the ad, everything else works. This G5 is cheap and would be a purchase, but my question is this: would any of the G4 ADC video cards I have (Rage 128 Pro, GeForce Mx, Radeon 7000) fit in the G5? Or would I have to get something else?

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

15. reco2011 macrumors 6502a

I just picked up a dual 2.0GHz G5 (original model), 3GB RAM, 64GB SSD, and serial ATA card for $50 :D

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

How much do they want?

Smokin deal!

17. robertdsc thread starter macrumors regular

robertdsc

Thank you. I guess I'll skip the listing.

18. robertdsc thread starter macrumors regular

robertdsc

I've contacted a couple of folks about trading the monitor. Both have declined. I may end up selling the monitor and MDD together as a set in order to purchase a G5. I didn't want to pay for anything, but I guess that's how it breaks down.

19. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Sadly, most people are not into trading. Best to just sell and buy the G5 you want.

20. robertdsc thread starter macrumors regular

robertdsc

I got a trade today.

After swapping emails back and forth, I got a seller to agree to a straight trade of the monitor and ADC/DVI adapter for a G5 Dual 2.0 with 1 150 GB hard drive and 2.5 GB of RAM.

I'm duplicating my main G5's backup to it right now. After that's done, I can begin ripping my DVD collection at an accelerated pace. Very happy.

21. Pkupman57 macrumors regular

Ive noticed that you can get just about anything if you're willing to wait down here in LA land. I just traded a eMac I had with a bad hard drive (but with everything else, keyboard/mouse/software/documentation, everything, for a mint condition 20" ACD with power brick. Later today Im picking up a mint, with all parts, and original box, iSight FW camera in hollywood. I scored my original G5s (all dual processors, a 1.8, a 2.3, and a 2.7) for less than $200, from separate sellers. Just took some time.

Good deal on your trade.

22. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Do you know where your DP G5s have originated? Myself and a friend own dual 1.8's, 2.3s, and I own 2x 2.7s (from the LA area). The 1.8 had a walt disney tag so I was curious if you knew any back stories about them.

23. Pkupman57 macrumors regular

I don't know. I know two of them. (the 2.3 and 2.7) came with their original boxes, from the original owners. The seller left all his professional programs on them, but no data. He didn't get into any real detail on where he worked or what he did. One system was his, and one was his fathers. He did mention some work with Lionsgate films, but that was it.