Trade iMac for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blasto2236, Mar 8, 2013.

1. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

Someone recently offered to trade me their 15" Late 2011 MBP for my comparably spec'd Late 2011 iMac. His is actually BTO and has a slightly larger hard drive and an i7 processor as opposed to my i5.

Both are still under warranty for a few months (purchased prior to their respective 2012 refreshes), so could be repaired if any issues are found.

Should I go for it? I've been thinking that I would like a bit more portability from my machine, although admittedly I don't know how often it would leave my desk.

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Post both the specs of your iMac and their MBP (all/exact specs, please).

Also, try this:

Throughout your typical day for a week or so, make note/count of how many times you actually *need* portability.

In general, iMacs are more powerful and offer higher performance than MBPs. I'd only recommend switching if you truly need portability.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

The iMac has a more powerful dGPU, but the i7 will be faster than the i5 even if its not a desktop CPU.

You lose; screen real estate/size

You gain; portability

Whats more important to you?

4. blasto2236 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMac
    Core i5 2.5GHz
    500GB HDD
    ADM Radeon 6750 w 512MB of GDDR 5 memory
    4GB RAM

MBP
    Core i7 2.2GHz
    750GB HDD
    ADM Radeon 6750 w 512MB of GDDR 5 memory
    4GB RAM

So basically it's clocked a little slower but pushing to a much smaller screen, and all the other specs are exactly the same save for the MBP having a larger hard drive. I'm thinking on spec alone it would be worth the trade, the portability will just be an added value.

5. alphaod, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The MacBook Pro is faster even with lower base clock. The turbo is to the same clock and your iMac doesn't have hyper threading whereas the MacBook Pro does.

HDD can be upgraded and so can RAM, so it won't be much difference there.

If you want an external monitor, a 24" monitor is very affordable these days so I wouldn't miss that.

6. blasto2236 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am not the one with the MBP. I have the iMac. It's 21.5, baseline model from Late 2011.