Carrier Trade-In credit on AT&T NEXT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reezyyy, Nov 7, 2014.

1. reezyyy macrumors newbie

So I'm currently on AT&T's Next plan with a 32GB Iphone 5S. I have about $350 in installments to pay if I wanted to do their early Pay-To-Upgrade option. I've read that some users were able to Trade in their iphone 5S (while on the NEXT plan) and get $300 in trade-in credit, which they then used to pay off the rest of their installments (or at least the portion that the credit covers, and then paying the remainder). I tried to to do this at my local AT&T store and they said it wasn't possible because it the Next plan is excluded from AT&T's trade-in/ buyback program.

Has anyone done this and succeeded in receiving that trade-in credit, while on the NEXT plan? Am I missing something here? Or have I just been misled?

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

maybe if they paid more than 60% of the value

3. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

You can only trade in a phone for credit that you own. If you're still on the Next program, you don't own it until it's pif.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Even if it doesn't work, why not pay it off on the spot, trade it in, and use it towards your bill?

5. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

Or pay it off and sell it and use that money towards the new phone. You should be able to get more for it rather than trading it in.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If they're offering $300 for the thing, depending on the model, it may be the better deal right now. A 16GB is going, in my area, for roughly $300-350. That extra MAYBE $50 isn't worth the hassle (IMO) to deal with finding a buyer when I could just walk into AT&T and wash my hands of the device.

7. reezyyy thread starter macrumors newbie

paying it off and then selling it actually doesn't sound like too bad of an idea. at the very least i can get back most of what i spend on paying it off completely. time to scan craigslist and see what a 32GB 5S is going for. but, if anyone here has had success in getting credit on a trade-in with next, let me know. if i can avoid the hassle of searching for a buyer, i'm all for it lol.

thanks for the responses guys!

8. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

I traded in an iPhone 4 for $200 in bill credit- not device credit.

9. reezyyy thread starter macrumors newbie

while on the NEXT plan?

10. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

there is so much hair on these trade in programs... suffolk and nassau county in NY will only let you trade your device in if you bought it from that store... found that out the hard way.... tried to trade in my mom's 5 and just got denied because they couldn't trace the replacement through apple care....

thinking about just seeing what apple will give me for it through there trade in through the mail, but i'm really trying to unload it locally for quick cash. oh yea, thats the loophole through the program, you can mail it in and do it online, but you have to wait...