Resolved Trade in iPhone 4S for Galaxy S4

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by 4GLTE lover, Jun 27, 2013.

1. 4GLTE lover, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013

4GLTE lover macrumors member

I am wanting to trade in my Verizon iPhone 4S which is under contract Via Samsung's Website and use the $200 from that in order to buy Galaxy S4. Would this work since I am under a contract?? Chances are I'm not doing this because I have just JailBroken my iPhone 4S 6.1.2 and love it but there is a possibility. So I was wondering.

2. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

3. 4GLTE lover thread starter macrumors member

4. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Are you hoping that Verizon will let you use an "upgrade" to get the S4? If so, I doubt it because you're still under your 2 years.. What you can do is sell the iP4S and use that money for your cancellation fee and use whats leftover plus the difference to buy the S4 without contract.

5. 4GLTE lover thread starter macrumors member

Im just wondering if i did that would i be able to get a galaxy s4 for the $200 that i received from giving them my IP4S

6. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

I doubt it. The top two carriers (Verizon and AT&T) are strict about early upgrades. Might be possible if you pull the right strings but rare.

Again, your best bet might be to pay the early termination fee and sign a new 2yr contract in which it should qualify as a new contract meaning you can get whatever specials your carriers is offering.

Can anyone confirm this?

7. 4GLTE lover thread starter macrumors member

8. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

I don't think you can do that with your existing contract. If you are not eligible for an upgrade or at the end of your contract with Verizon then no. these trade in offers are mainly for upgrades (at the end of your 2 year contract) or new lines of service.

9. skratch77 macrumors 65816

Do not listen to these guys bro,your contract with Verizon is not on the phone,its on the service.You can use any phone you want and trading,selling or smashing your phone will not touch your contract.

Right now you can buy a used gs4 off craigslist and walk into a Verizon store and say I need a sim made for a gs4 with my number and they will do it for FREE and 5 min after you pop the new sim in your gs4 your online account with Verizon will show a gs4 instead of an iphone 4.

let me repeat this,your contract is not on the hardware its the service you need to have for 2 years.If your iphone 4 gets stolen you can use a cheap old phone you have or buy a new phone full retail and use it.

trade your phone up!!!

you can buy a unlocked gs4 at Verizon at full retail and then put in the iemi number on the Samsung site and they will mail you a 200 gift card for getting an gs4

10. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

If I'm not mistaken, OP is trying to avoid paying the premium on a phone; he wants the discounted price that comes with new contracts.

11. skratch77 macrumors 65816

If he is on a family plan he can transfer an upgrade for 30 bucks on Verizon if another line has an upgrade.

I thought he just wanted to trade his old phone to Samsung for the rebate and he can do that as well.

12. 4GLTE lover thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a family member has an upgrade available so I might use theirs, then use the money from my 4S ($200) for the phone price. :cool:

----------

I would really like a Samsung Galaxy S4 but not real sure I should make the switch from iPhone to Samsung Galaxy S4. Anyone have reasons why I should besides what I know: open not restricted like iOS, true multitasking, and Flash Player...Or is there another Android Phone you recommend??:confused:

13. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Note 2 is great but too big for some and there's a new model being released soon.

I've read Sony Xperia Z is pretty good but the top two phones now is the S4 and HTC One.

14. 4GLTE lover thread starter macrumors member

I have considered the HTC One before but shoud it come to Verizon anytime soon you think??

15. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I get the ease of trading your 4S for $200, but you can get a lot more than that by selling it yourself on a website like Cell Trader Online or Swappa. They're going for anywhere from $250-$275 on Swappa right now.

16. flipnap macrumors 6502

if i were you i would go and just buy one on a different carrier. use the s4 for two weeks and return it. that should help you make your decision. if you go through all the hassle of trading and upgrading and blah blah you might end up wishing you didnt. the s4 wasnt for me and im glad i had a chance to return it. and this isnt fanboy crap. it just wasnt the phone i was expecting and had a lot of things i didnt like about it. the htc one was nice as well but i returned it for different reasons. i had two android phones out at once and then my iphone and used all three of them extensively at the same time..

if youre absolutely sure you want an s4 talk to your carrier and tell them its time to 'upgrade' and you LOVE their service, theyre the best, theyve always been so great to you.. then tell them you just want a newer phone. theyll hook you up.

17. 4GLTE lover thread starter macrumors member

What kind of phone did you end up with??

18. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

What didn't you like about the S4?

19. jcpb macrumors 6502a

If flipnap played with his S4 for two weeks before returning it, I'd bet he never flashed a ROM into it, or - less extreme - used the various tools to nuke the bloatware payload on the stock S4 ROM.

20. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

So true; the bloatware included in these devices kill the android experience.

21. 4GLTE lover thread starter macrumors member

Can you sell an iPhone that's under contract on E-Bay??

22. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Yes you can. Just wipe the device when shipping.

23. 4GLTE lover thread starter macrumors member

Will I need to activate new phone first??

24. 4GLTE lover thread starter macrumors member

Would you prefer the Google version over Touch Wiz??

25. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Your sig says you have (or used to have) a jailbroken 4S, which implies TouchWiz won't work for you. However, you don't necessarily need to buy your S4 from Google - can buy one off Amazon (make sure it's i9505, i9500 has NO LTE) and then root/flash to your heart's content.