Trade in MBP 15" (2.4 Model) for new 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by formerpcfanboy, Oct 6, 2009.

  1. formerpcfanboy macrumors newbie

    Oct 23, 2007
    Hello everyone. I am in the forums searching for things all the time but I do not post that often unless I have a question or something intelligent to say. Today I have nothing intelligent to say so I will just ask a question! I currently have the 15" MBP late 2007 model and I was thinking about selling it and getting one of the new MBP 13". Just wanting to hear from all the experts out there about if you think this is a good move. Thanks in advance!!
  2. kolax macrumors G3

    Mar 20, 2007
    The 9400M is integrated graphics, which is about 40% less powerful (I forget the actual figure.. but around that) than the 8600GT that's in your current MBP. Not a huge deal, the 9400M will still happily play games.

    Faster CPU in the 13" MBP, multi-touch trackpad.
  3. shambo macrumors 6502a


    Apr 4, 2009
  4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem


    Feb 19, 2005
    Only in size really and the 13" is a wonderful machine, just as "future-proof" as a 15" ... if you can consider any computer "future-proof".
  5. shambo macrumors 6502a


    Apr 4, 2009
    But he effectively future-proofed himself 2 years ago and on my estimates has another good 3 years left in that 15 inch bad boy. There is no need to downgrade just because another machine is "wonderful".
  6. AAPLaday Guest


    Aug 6, 2008
    Manchester UK
    The question is ask is why are you looking to trade in? Do you have one of those 8600 GPUs that you are worried about failing or do you just fancy a change?
  7. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

    Salty Pirate

    Oct 5, 2005
    kansas city
    The 13" screen would bum me out ***UNLESS*** you have a screen you plug into. Then the 13 makes some sense.

    I run the 15 because I find it a massive pain to plug into a screen, use a keyboard and mouse, ect ect ect
  8. gotzero macrumors 68040

    Jan 6, 2007
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    I went 15" MBP to 13" MBA and then 13" MPB, and I see no reason to go back up.

    I wish that Apple offered a 1440*900 screen in the 13", but in my opinion it is not worth the extra size/weight to go up to a 15" to get it.
  9. skye12 macrumors 65816


    Nov 11, 2006
    Austin, Tx
    I like my 13" MB. But I must say the next laptop I get will have MORE
    screen and a higher resolution. I may even go 17". Imo you will not
    like the smaller screen. Don't do it unless extreme portability is your priority.
  10. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    Personally, if I had to do it over again, I'd probably get the 13"MBP.

    I find that I'm on the 9400m most of the time, the size is better suited to my needs. The only thing that holds me back completely is the fact that the 9600m may come in handy in the future as programs start leveraging the GPU more and more.

    I don't have buyers remorse as much as the fact that the next time I upgrade, the 13" MBP is going to be on my short list.
  11. Smoothie macrumors 6502a

    Jun 23, 2007
    I wouldn't call the June 2009 13" MBP "future proof" until Apple fixes the SATA controller firmware that appears to be causing problems with some third party hard drives and solid state drives. In my opinion, this is a big issue. It means that you may be stuck with the drive that ships with the system.
  12. kmaute macrumors 6502


    Oct 5, 2008
    Oh, for the love of god. Please get yourself banned again; I cannot hear anymore about your "bad boy" without going completely off my rocker.

    To the OP: I'm considering a similar move, however, it does depend on my needs in a few months. Personally, I think that there are going to be some interesting developments in the next 6-8 months that may make the 13" much more compelling. Good luck.
  13. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040


    Nov 9, 2008
    Fort Collins Colorado
    I too went from a 15" MBP to a 13" and I don't miss the 15" at all. I love the smaller size of the 13" and the extra 2" of the 15" adds allot more size on the overall size of the MBP. It isn't really all that hard to get used to a screen 2" smaller.
  14. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

    Sep 7, 2007
    Go for the 13"

    I had the same decision to make a few months ago. I replaced my old 15" with a new 15" Unibody. Then the 13" Unibody came out a few weeks later. The difference in price got me a wireless keyboard, mouse, & 24" 1080p monitor.
    Now I don't mind traveling with my MBP (smaller screen & better battery life) and I enjoy doing photo editing on the big screen at my desk. I haven't noticed a significant difference in the GPU performance for what I'm doing (12 megapixel RAW files in Photoshop). In other words, I'm happy with my setup: 2.26 GHz / 4GB RAM / 500GB 5200RPM HD
  15. cluthz macrumors 68040


    Jun 15, 2004
    If you need a smaller computer, indeed do upgrade.
    The improved battery life is also really nice.

    If you are thinking about future proofing and upgrading in terms of getting more computer power, I'd settle for a 15 inch with discrete graphics.

    I for one don't feel i'm getting much with upgrading yet, so I'm keeping mine until the next upgrade, at least..
  16. formerpcfanboy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 23, 2007
    Wow.. Thanks for the input, I know I would get lots of opinions!!! I am thinking of changing because I guess I want the latest and greatest without spending lots! Also the new MBP can support 8GB of RAM when I am limited on mine to 4GB. Thanks and Keep the opinions coming!!!!!:D
  17. cluthz macrumors 68040


    Jun 15, 2004
    The SR-MBPs can hold 6GB RAM!
    (Well u can put 8GB in there, but once you use more than 6GB your computer is gonna crawl due to some chipset restrictions or smthn')

    4GB chips still costs too much tho
  18. j5045096 Guest

    Oct 27, 2007
    There's no reason on earth to ever put 8GB of RAM in a 13" with integrated graphics and screen real estate that small. 1) It's extremely cost-prohibitive. I'm sure you can find it for about 1/2 this price from a third party (I personally only trust RAM from Apple but that's me) but from Apple isn't the 8GB RAM like a $1000+ cost right now? 2) it's unwise because you'll never use it. RAM allows the computer to do more at once. Maybe if you have a 24" monitor hooked up to it...then, maybe, but I highly doubt that's your plan. it's just a spec. But, we're spec people. We're impressed by specs. When a laptop had 32mb of RAM we were awed...then 64, then 128, 256, 512, 1, 2, 4...I have 4 in my 15" Pro unibody and I'm amazed and now you can 8! I do a lot--but i don't do enough to even push the 4 to the limit. I could survive with 2 -- easily and I'm doing media stuff. So, on "potential" alone do not make your decision.

    Things to factor in...
    1) front size bus and RAM speed of your Pro - if it's a 2007 it's either 667mhz RAM or 800mhz -- and I'm thinking the Pro had 800mhz FSB. The new Pros have 1067mhz RAM/Bus. In my opinion this means the internals of your computer aren't causing so much bottlenecking to a very fast processor that can do a whole lot of stuff.
    WINNER: 13"
    2) screen size - not a huge issue but 13 isn't 15
    WINNER: 15"
    3) video card - on the one hand you have what 256 dedicated video ram in your 15" --but in a video card known for failing. The 9400 has 256 but it's shared and not as powerful. Course if your 8600GT video card has lasted this long with no issue maybe you got a good one.
    4) connectivity. In my opinion the 15" has the better option offering an ExpressCard slot and a DVI out. I think the 13" wins in the display options - now with Mini Display Port to HDMI adapters available (I saw one the other day online for about $15) and easy access (Apple Story) to MDP-->VGA OR DVI the display out on the 13" wins. It's nice to have Firewire 400 + 800 but it's the additional USB ports that lead me to believe your current set up wins here
    WINNER: 15"

    Bottom line - if you were upgrading to a 15" Pro with an Express Card Slot and a dedicated video card this is a no brainer. I don't see a real upgrade here going to a 13". I've seen refurbished MBPs with the 9600 card and Express Card slots for under $1400 on that's your winner.
  19. clyde2801 macrumors 601


    Mar 6, 2008
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    How much do you think you'll get out of your SR? Trouble is, a lot of people know about the issues of that system, and it may effect what you'll get out of it unless you find an unsophisticated buyer on CL.

    A local used computer dealer in my city was selling early 08 base model 15" mbps for $800, with a one year in store warranty. I'd check out what your model is selling for in your area on CL.

    There's a lot of factors to consider. Why do you want a new system? Does your current one have applecare?

    If you're worried about a video card failure, and want to unload it before your applecare/extended apple warranty of the video card expires, sell it if you can get enough money, or boot camp windows and game the s#^t out of it (Apple will have to run out of replacement logic boards at some time!).:D

    If you're looking for a little more performance, replacing the stock HD with a larger and/or faster one is a valid option. Assuming the video card holds up, you probably can goose a little extra life/usability out of your existing machine.

    If you're wanting to keep up with the latest features/technology, you're playing a losing game.

    If it's extra portability, then the 13" is the way to go.

    If your current system is doing what you need it to do (and are willing to gamble on the graphics card), you should keep it going as long as possible and save your money in the meanwhile for a new machine.

    It's not an easy choice either way. Good luck!
  20. j5045096 Guest

    Oct 27, 2007
    That's a great point I hadn't considered. If I'm in a buyer's shoes I'm definitely not buying one of the old Pro's with the 8600 simply based on all I've heard many of you say on these forums. Hadn't even considered that point - and it's a good one.
  21. formerpcfanboy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 23, 2007
    Wow thanks for the extensive comparison!!! I do understand wanting to keep up with the latest features/technology is a losing battle!!! I have a older MP with dual 23” screens and a 24" Imac at home and this is my travel/coffee shop laptop so I am looking for more portability/better battery life, with a little bit of power also.
  22. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

    Minimoose 360

    Jul 7, 2008
    Go for the 17". ;)

    But really, go to an Apple Store and feel them all out, see what you like. Personally speaking the 13" 's resolution is too bad.

    He been causing trouble touting that his 15" is more of a MacBook Pro than the 13"? Tisk tisk.
  23. XP Defector macrumors 6502

    Apr 5, 2006
    What are you going to use it for? Personally I use them for photography and sound production, those few extra inches go along way imo.

Share This Page