Trade in my 17" MBP for a 13" MBA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by T-bag, Jul 14, 2011.

  1. T-bag Guest

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2011
    #1
    Hi all. It's been a while since I posted anything. Much has changed since you helped me deciding to buy a 17" MBP, and I need some advice.

    I bought the sandy bridge model when it first got released back in February. I upgraded to anti glare and 128 GB SSD (through apple). After finishing my first degree in engineering, I'm now starting to study for a masters degree in technology management. As it turns out, I don't really need a quad core portable computer for this. :p

    I'm now, as the title indicates, considering selling my MBP before it loses more value (I bought it with student discount so it wont be a big loss, maybe on the contrary) and get the coming 13" MBA.

    I don't game anymore, but I like to edit photos once in a while. I have a 24" monitor in my room though. The main reason I'm considering this is because I'm going to the states next spring for three months. Then it would be nice to have a light computer. If I regret my choice I guess I could buy a new 17" while being there (much cheaper than in my country). What do you think?
     
  2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #2
    It really depends on what your primary needs are. Essentially, it is a trade off between power (and a larger screen) on the one hand and uber-portability on the other.

    I used to have a MBP, but I didn't need all of the power, and I do need portability, so I decided to buy a MBA last September and love it.

    Seriously, I don't think it's a question of value - Apples command a good price in the second-hand market - it is more of question of you asking yourself what do you really need from a laptop computer? The MBA is superb for portability, and can easily be transported everywhere without strain. The speed (SSD) is also very good, and the screen resolution is excellent. Battery on the newer models (2010) is very good. If that's what you want, there is no better computer on the market.

    If you have a 24" monitor in your room, well then, it is entirely possible that you don't need a second large screen as this could be enough for your needs.

    Cheers
     
  3. lucasmonger macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2008
    Location:
    Illinois
    #3
    Some things you might miss...

    With the current MBA (I have the 11" version) there are a few things I do miss.

    1. Firewire
    2. Backlit keyboard
    3. Apple Remote (there's no IrDA port)

    If none of these bother you, then by all means get an MBA or hold out until a rumored update comes (might fix the #2, probably not #1 or #3). I'm continually amazed at how thin the little 11" MBA is. The responsiveness of this tiny beast is amazing, even though it is computationally slower than the MBP.
     
  4. T-bag thread starter Guest

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2011
    #4
    After thinking it through I agree that it wont lose more value if I spend some time thinking this through. I think the release of new MBP's would "do some damage" though. Ultimately I'm not sure if I really need the portability, but the MBA is cheaper and suits my current needs better. That's the reason I'm considering this.The MBA lacks the potential of my current MBP though, and I do like its screen size and resolution. Maybe I should just get both. :rolleyes:
     
  5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2011
    Location:
    Tallahassee, Florida
    #5
    I really wish I had money like that.... being a broke college student sucks :)

    But yea, I would definitely suggest getting an Upgraded MBA and using that for a while.. if you keep the 17 inch and have the 11/13 inch Air for portable use, I think you would be set for a long time.
     
  6. solowmodel macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2011
    #6
    Instead of keeping the 17" and buying the MBA, I would sell it and buy iMac + MBA combo. The best combination in my experience.
     
  7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #7
    Perhaps a 15" MBP would be a good compromise of portability and screen size. A 17" is fairly large to lug around and you can always hook up to an external monitor.

    I had a 27" iMac and 13" MBP a year ago and sold them both in November for my current 15" and never looked back.

    Good luck. I know the feeling when you realize you may have invested in the wrong model for your needs.
     
  8. T-bag thread starter Guest

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2011
    #8
    I tried the 27" iMac, but returned it to get the MBP. Could not stand the glossy screen. Think I might put my swap-plans on ice. I just got a thule backpack that makes my current computer portable enough for now. :)
     
  9. DKTacts macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2010
    Location:
    MD
    #9
    I would do the trade, I'd fully expect the next gen macbook air's to be plenty powerful for your/the average person's needs - including light photo editing. I have a 15" macbook pro and I feel like I hardly ever use it to its capacity. That, and the macbook air is so damn sexy.
     
  10. T-bag thread starter Guest

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2011
    #10
    Changed my mind again

    I've turned around completely now :rolleyes:. After spending some time comparing what I can purchase with the money I hopefully get by selling the MBP, I can't defend keeping it anymore. How much do you think I can get for a 17" 2011 MBP configured with 128GB SSD and matte screen? It is as good as new, and I plan to sell it with a Crumpler sleeve.

    I'm Norwegian so it may be smart to give me a reduction percentage since Apple-stuff is a lot more expencive here.

    I'm planning on getting the ultimate 13" mba btw. :)
     
  11. T-bag thread starter Guest

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2011
    #11
    I already have a desktop. :) Win7. If I need a more powerful one later I won't upgrade the laptop. I meant to get the standard model with 256GB storage, not to upgrade CPU/RAM. :) I think I'll order the MBA today and make sure I like it before I sell the MBP.
     

Share This Page