Trade in my Nikon D5000 for D90?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Buried, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Buried macrumors newbie

My friend (who's not at all smart) is offering to trade his D90 for my D5000. When I had bought my D5000 I hadn't realised that it didn't offer a very useful top control panel LCD or a even more useful built-in body autofocus motor.

The thing is, I'm trading a D5000 for a D90 (bought when brand new)

Do you think it's worth it considering the two useful things that I mentioned above? It's starting to bug me as I started to take a more serious route in my photography and those two things really make a difference.

2. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I am surprised he wants to trade his better D90 camera for a D5000? Why does he want to do that?

I am about to sell my D90 for a D7000 soon. But the D90 has been great! You won't be disappointed.

3. Buried thread starter macrumors newbie

I have used his D90 for a week and it was a compelling experience, brighter bigger viewfinder, buttons to modify settings faster. The only downside was his flash wouldn't fire at all, but he's throwing in his external Sunpak flash.

Or do you think the best option for me is to go straight for something like the D300s, or should I wait for the D400 or D500?
    I'm starting to make a profit out of my photography so I have to look at something that does a few things faster to make my workflow easier, I have all the glass I need (17-55 f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 70-300mm f4.5-5.6, 50mm f1.4) so glass is not a problem, would you recommend I just see how the D90 does the job or just go straight for something like a D7000 or D300s?

4. thederby macrumors regular

D5000 -> D90 is a no-brainer...

past that, i'd skip the D300s and go straight to the D7000.

that said, i'd probably stick with the D90 until prices drop on the 7k.

5. nizmoz macrumors 65816

The D300 is a full frame camera which will require different lenses I believe. Something about it also with the motor in the lenses. I think it can't both type of lenses. Also no built in flash.

The D90 IMHO is a better camera than the D300 but if you need speed in shots, the D300 would be it or the new D7000.

Since you have the chance, I would play with the D90 for a while. But IMHO, I would get the D7000.

6. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

No, the D300 is a DX (1.5x crop) APS-C camera. Nikon's "full frame" cameras are the D3, D3s, D3x and D700. The D300 will indeed shoot with both AF-D and AF-S lenses and does include a pop-up built-in flash.

Paul

7. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I'd recommend to wait, as the D90 won't help any in terms of image quality but has a few usability features that are nice. You already seem to have a complete set of modern AF-S glass so I'm not sure how useful the built-in AF motor would really be. And there isn't going to be any new lens releases that aren't AF-S in the future (with the possible exception of future MF PC-E lenses). The only lens you own that might benefit from the screwdrive motor is the 50mm 1.4, and only if you have the older D version.

It might be smarter instead to jump straight to a better model like the D7000 (or wait for the D400) where you will receive both usability benefits and an increase in image quality. If you can see yourself getting more serious about photography, and also seem to be making money at it, it should not be a big issue to spend the cash later on to upgrade. Right now it just seems like you're taking advantage of a friend. Is that worth it to you?

Ruahrc

8. pna macrumors 6502

Indeed -- trading a D5000 for a D90 is generally a no-brainer, provided everything (aside from the flash) works as it should on the D90. I had both for a time, and while I really like the compactness of the D5000, if I was forced to choose one, there's no question I would have chosen the D90. It's a great camera.

Don't expect your images to be any different with the same lenses -- they won't be. The D90 opens you up to a whole world of great lenses that won't focus with the D5000. That's where you'll find the differences in image quality.

Has your friend stated why he wants to make this trade? Seems like he'd have to have a good reason himself, as the deal is fairly one-sided.

9. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

The D90 has awesome low light capabilities (even better than the D300S from what I read, but I couldn't compare this myself).

I jumped from a D40 to a D90, and the difference is night and day (kind of like jumping from a D3000 to a D7000).

10. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I don't understand why you're contemplating switching your D5000 for a D90 versus going straight to a better camera. You would still be able to upgrade your camera while you have the D90 if you choose to do so.

The fact that the D90 built-in flash doesn't work shouldn't be a big deal at all anyway. The D3 doesn't even have a built in flash.