Trade In or Keep Back Up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMi, Oct 5, 2017.

?

Please read the post. Should I trade or should I keep as back up?

1. Trade in, get the 8 Plus

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Keep it as back up, get the 8 Plus

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Hang onto it another year

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. iMi macrumors 6502a

iMi

I am trying to decide if trading in last year's purchase makes sense or if I should keep it as back up instead.

Here's the scoop. I bought iPhone 6s Plus last year as the 7 did not impress me at the time. Back then, I got the deal from T-mobile where they basically pay half the phone through monthly credits. I have $330 left on the plan.

If I trade the phone, I have to pay off the $330 and the credits (about half of that amount) will stop as well. So, I am giving up about $165 in credits up front. I then get $300 trade in ($155 up front and the remaining $145 in monthly credits over 24 months, so about $6 a month). Of course, I have to trade in last year's device.

Option two, I learned that T-mobile will allow you to have more than one hardware payment plan per line. So, I could just buy the second phone and keep paying for the 6S (another 12 months). Then either keep it for back up or use it as trade in then or sell it... whatever.

Last option, hang onto it another year and forgo the update all together. Battery issues will improve (hopefully) and the upgrades are not worth option one or two.

Any recommendations on what I should do?

2. Jabar18 macrumors member

I think it depends if you think Apple’s phones in 2018 will excite you. You could hold onto it and sell it next year and get whatever phone they have then.

Or, if you’re already used to the Plus size and like using a Phablet, I would get the 8 Plus, which has been reviewed as an amazing phone.

Also depends on what your battery life is currently at. Personally, I would upgrade.

3. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

I voted for keeping it as a back up and getting a new phone if you fancy one. I dropped my phone three weeks ago and having a reliable back up was crucial for me until I could get the display fixed.

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I always like to keep my devices for back up, I never know when I might need them and it's nice to have a secondary iPhone if something goes wrong with my primary. And I tend to not to resell my electronic products.

5. iMi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMi

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I travel and this is a business phone. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that having a back up is the right way to go.

Got the iPhone 8 Plus. I like it. It’s a significant update, for sure.