Trade-In Process

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raf66, Sep 16, 2014.

1. raf66, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

raf66 macrumors regular

This may be a stupid question, but since this is the first time I've ever traded in a phone I thought I'd ask it anyway.

I have a mint iP 5 (cased from day 1) that I'd like to trade in towards the purchase of a new iP 6+. I didn't preorder and I'm assuming I'll have no luck on Friday just walking into a store to purchase it. However, whenever it comes time for me to try to get one, how does the trade-in process work? I have Apple stores here in town, as well as BB and VZW stores (my carrier) very close to me. Do I have to go to VZW? Could BB or Apple do the same thing as my carrier's store and do a trade in? I preordered the 5 on launch day and didn't trade anything in so this is all new to me.

Thanks for the guidance.

ETA: I'll actually be using the upgrade for another phone on my family plan and switching it over to my number. My kids have used my and wife's upgrades previously so now I'm using one of theirs. The good thing is I'll get to keep my unlimited data plan (at least I hope) since I currently have that on my iP 5. I just didn't know if using a different line to upgrade then immediately switching the phone to my line changes where/how I buy it.

2. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

If you want to participate in the trade in program, you have to:

1. Preorder the iPhone 6 FROM Verizon. It cannot be from Apple.

2. Sign up for a EDGE, renew 2 year plan, or buy the phone for full price.

3. Chuckieboy macrumors newbie

Where are you getting this information from? I don't see "having to buy directly from Verizon" on any of the Verizon fine print anywhere on their trade-in site or FAQ.

4. bhigh8 macrumors 6502

i called and asked and it doesnt have to be from verizon. when filling out the trade in request form, check that you purchased a 6 or 6+. they just check to make sure one was purchased with new contract.

5. erikjc macrumors member

But do they give you cash or a Verizon gift card? If it's a gift card I'd definitely want to trade it in at Verizon so I can use the card to buy the new 6.

6. Chuckieboy macrumors newbie

Looks like everyone is getting mixed messages depending on which rep they talk to. Not good.

I have an order directly from Apple for a store pickup on the 19th. I am moving from ATT to Verizon so don't have an experience with dealing with Verizon.

Not sure if I should go ahead with the store pickup if there is any risk of not getting my $200 trade-in for my old IP4. But ordering from Verizon is a 3 week+ wait and I have no confidence that they will have any in the Verizon stores.

Anyone know definitely what the answer is on this?

7. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

VZW and Apple are offering trade-ins...I'm sure others are as well but I am on VZW and have spoken with them and Apple about this.

You can go online and get a gift card sent to you from Apple or from VZW after you send your phone in and they inspect it. Or you can trade it in at the time of your purchase/pick up at the Apple/VZW store for it to go towards to immediate purchase cost.

It is up to you as to when/where you want to do this, and how you want the trade in value credited to you.

8. Izauze macrumors 6502

Yes. Apparently a few people were spreading bad information that they had found from a few misinformed customer support reps.

You CAN order through apple and participate in Verizon's trade-in program. I completed my trade in last night (as did a few others that have reported their experiences in other threads). The manager there didn't seem incredibly surprised that customer service had managed to create a false impression with some people.

9. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

It is a Verizon gift card. You can use that card to buy new devices or pay your bill.