Trade in program at Best Buy / Radio Shack is DECIPTIVE!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drober30, Jun 14, 2010.

1. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I took my two iPhones to Best Buy to trade them in. I went on line to get their value which was $237.00. My phones were in as "perfect" condition as you can get for a used iPhone. There rating system is "good" "fair" "poor". There is no question that my phones would be considered in "good" condition even by the most strictest standards!

The best Buy employee said they will never give a "good" rating, that they only give a "fair" rating regardless of the phones condition!

I was mad and left. Took the phones down the street to Radio Shack and the guy behind the counter said my phones were "immaculate" in "pristine" condition! He started the trade in process and said the phones were less than $200 each according to the computer. I showed him on my iPhone Radio Shacks web site and the trade in value was $236.15.

Another employee said there was an internal email that stated they were not giving anything more than $200.00 per phone. She pulled up the email and showed us.

This is for sure deceptive advertising. None of these companies plan on giving you the amount the web site states regardless of condition!

Has anybody else experienced this?

I will be contacting the Michigan AG!

And for those that want to know... yes, I traded the phones in for $200 each anyway but I'm not sure what they are doing is considered legal?

Update* Called AG and started filling out online complaint form. Decided to call Best Buy Consumer Affairs before I finished complaint form. They took one look at my purchase history and issued me a $50 gift card and said they documented my concern, will look at their process and contact the store. I was very happy with the way I was treated on the phone call and appreciated the fact they recognized I was a valuable customer.

Hopefully they will fix the trade in process and give customers what their web site states.

2. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Sell on Craigslist. You will get a lot more. Even if you undercut all the other people selling on there, you'll still make a lot more than these trade-in scams.

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I dunno, I got the full $299 for my 3GS, which is what the website estimated for a 3GS in good condition. Might be a per-store thing.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Cars, phones, or what ever - you never get what you think its worth when you go the trade in route.

Sell it on craigslist for the going market rate.

5. hippo206 macrumors 6502

If you are willing to sell for 200, then I bet if you post on craigslist you will have an legitimate offer in less than a hour. A ton of people are looking to get a 3GS right now.

6. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Just for reference. I have multiple buyers contacting me for my iPhone 3G 16GB at a price of $300. And yes, that's only for a 3G.

These trade-ins are ridiculous.

7. wishman35 macrumors regular

Maybe I am wrong but Radio Shack's trade in for a regular 3G 8GB is $145 ..

The going rate is around $160-180 on Ebay. After the ripoff final value fees/paypal fees/shipping/overall trouble ... Isn't it easier just to take the trade in and apply it to the cost of the phone?

No?

8. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

$800 for new phones
    $450 in trade in
    -----------------------
    $350 for two new iPhone 4s without dealing with eBay/Craigs list. Not a bad deal in my eyes. $175 for each phone is less than what I paid for the 3Gs.

However, topic still remains trade in amount on web different than store.

@gloss: you could be right! I hope they talk with the store and straighten it out. In the end, I got what I was after!

9. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

RS is NOT deceptive at all and this was made clear on Twitter as well (@radioshack) that the 3G would be worth $100 and $200 for a 3GS that's it that's all. As stated before, it's better to just sell it on CL and get more money from it.

10. circusbass macrumors regular

Vertigo50, $300 for a unlocked/jailbroken 3g 16gb or just a factory reset and swiped 3g 16b?

11. xenuprime macrumors 6502

I had my 3g 16gb on craigslist with 2 incase and a revo, perfect (used)condition for $265 and not one serious buyer.

I am not doubting you, I am just saying that prices fluctuate wildly.

12. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

It really depends on how good your pictures are, how much description you put it in, and where you are located. It also helps to post in multiple cities near you, as some have shortages while others have a lot.

Lastly, the fact that mine can be jailbroken and unlocked for them before they buy it helps a lot. :)

13. christyn macrumors 6502a

Agreed, I think it depends on the area. Had a perfect condition 3GS listed for $250 and only got scammer replies.

14. wishman35 macrumors regular

The fact of the matter is that regular 3G 8GB are selling for only $160-$180ish anyway. Take a chunk of that away because of final value and paypal fees.

It is almost worth just trading in and not having to risk getting some sort of crazy buyer claim that the phone isn't good enough.

15. hippo206 macrumors 6502

In seattle, I could sell your phone in an hour at that price (keeping in mind it takes 15 min just for craigslist to post it). Seattle market is strange when it comes to apple products. Kinda weird considering its the home of microsoft.

16. tigress666 macrumors 68040

It's Best Buy. Color me very unsurprised. You know a year or two back there was a bit of a scandal with them when they claimed they matched their website prices. So people would go in, the employee would look up the website price, and surprise, it was the store's price and not what the customer saw at home. Best Buy had a different website for their store that would show a different price.

There's a reason I don't buy from them.

17. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

why are you wasting time at a chain retail store trying to sell your stuff to them? sell it through craigslist or ebay.

18. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I plan on selling my 8gb 3G once there is a jailbreak and unlock released for iOS 4.0. Would I be able to get $200 (or more) for it?

19. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly! and that's what I decided to do!

20. wishman35 macrumors regular

If I am not mistaken, there is barely an easy way of unlocking your phone for 3.1.3. You will probably have your old phone for awhile if you wait to unlock and jailbreak 4.0. Not to mention 4.0 is barely 4.0 with a 3G, so I dont know why anyone even wants them to begin with.

21. xenuprime macrumors 6502

Well, im not sure why someone would want one, but after 4.0 is out i am sure 3gs, 3g, and even 2g phones will still be bought and sold everyday.

22. wishman35 macrumors regular

My iPhone's silent switch looks and works fine but it doesn't turn the silent on, hopefully they overlook that because it may be a pain to get fixed

23. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Try Gazelle. Supposedly (say Leo Laporte) they are pretty honest and fair in evaluating equipment they buy.

24. Anonymouslives macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

I have iphones, 3gs and 3g...on craigslist and eBay. I haven't had anything on craigslist and a couple of questions on eBay. That's all and my prices are in line with current closed listings. I think the secondary market is just flooded right now and the demand/anticipation for the iPhone 4 is decreasing the prices substantially.

25. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I had the same issue when i Traded in an Old Blackberry Storm with best buy. They offered me less than what the website was offering. So i called best buy corporate while i was in the store and they made the store/manager honor the trade in value from the website :D