Trade-in program for Apple Watch 2?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Danoc, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

Do you think Apple will introduce a trade-in program like it did with the iPhone: Apple Watch 1 taken back by Apple in exchange of a rebate for a purchase of the Apple Watch 2?

2. pulp46 macrumors member

pulp46

That would be terrific but I think the carrot of WatchOS3 is a sign Apple won't...

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

I doubt it sadly.

If watchOS 3 works as good as they say it will, there will be no need for me to upgrade.

4. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Well, whenever the next hardware version is released, I think they'd set up a trade-in program.

Apple already sends repairs and replacements in their own body-only boxes without straps, so another easy possibility would be buying only the watch body and using it with your existing straps.

I've also posited the idea of Apple using the same case and upgrading only the internals, leaving open the chance of sending in your watch for an internals upgrade (normal watches can have their internals replaced; they'd just use more glue for the AW) OR trading it in for Apple to reuse/refurbish/recycle.

5. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

has apple ever shown a tendency do this with any other product? (besides phones, which is a separate beast).

6. Danoc thread starter macrumors 6502

Danoc

Actually Apple is recycling iPad and MacBooks as per their website. The iPhone was just advertised more and relayed in the media.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Trade-in programs are easy to do with iPhones because a third party can easily unlock them and turn around to sell in the marketplace for a profit. I don't see how they can do that with the AW.

8. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I think there is a Supertramp song that describes the possibility in one word.....

9. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

I doubt they would do that. They want you to sell your watch and get a new one!

10. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

trade in is different than recycling

11. jaymc macrumors regular

jaymc

Surely.

12. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I was thinking of "Dreamer".

13. pulp46 macrumors member

pulp46

14. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

If Apple did offer a trade in program, the value would be quite low. Always better to sell yourself for the most return.

15. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I agree! If they did I reckon £80 max depending on model of AW

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If they want to ensure that current owners are tempted and willing to upgrade to the new watch, they'll include a trade in program. I think however we'll not see one between version 1 and 2 initially (or at all). If the adoption rate of a version 2 apple watch is low, then perhaps they'll adopt it down the road, sort of like their price cut, or when the apple watch 3 rolls off the assembly line.

If Apple can avoid giving away money (which in a sense a trade in program is), they will and the apple watch is such a new beast, its hard to say what existing owners will or won't do