Trade-in value of iPhone 5s is 100 if screen is cracked, 80 Applecare to make it 310

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SonRK, Sep 17, 2014.

1. SonRK macrumors 6502

Sorry, tried to fit it more nicely in the Title, but couldn't.

Okay so my 32GB iPhone 5s is valued at $310 if I bring it and use it towards the purchase of new phone/tablet, etc.

But the screen is cracked (the value of the phone is then only $90), and I do have Applecare+. I can go tomorrow, spend $80+tax, get the screen replaced/get a refurbished phone and then bring it on Friday for my pickup.

Or.....

Do you think Apple would let me bypass that hassle and just do ($310-$80) and give me $230 instead.

I know I can get maximum value if I sell it on Craigslist/locally. I've done it before, set up a price. Went to meetup with them at the Verizon store. It turns out to be an attractive mother who is like "I accidentally brought $60 less, take it or leave it".

Rather not have to deal with like..potential scams/being nickle and dimed and would rather just get rid of it asap.

2. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I would get it replaced ahead of time. They may not have a way to process or deal with a complex request like this especially on launch day/weekend. Remember, it's all about what the computer says they can do and I'm sure it's not set up for this scenario. Also, I'm 99% sure they don't do genius appointments on launch day of anything, so they'll tell you to come back the next day or Monday or something to do the swap/repair and you'll be SOL.

I agree Craigslist is a pain. It's cool if you got the time but trading in is the right call if you just wanna be done with it.

3. SonRK thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea true.

I just set up an appointment later today so I could get it over and done with. I wonder if I'll see people lined up already

4. rhaezorblue macrumors regular

rhaezorblue