Trade In

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gattz, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Gattz macrumors regular

I bought my MPB on 9/14/2008. Would I be able to trade it in for the newer version? If so, should I?

2. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

They are not cars. Just a joke. No offense.

You can't trade it in. Sell it on ebay or Craigslist. Be warned though that the previous gen is taking a big hit on price. You probably won't get near the price you paid for it. You will most likely take a huge hit. I would keep it if I were you because of that reason.

I have played with the older ones and the new ones and I love the new ones. Everyone has their own opinion though, but the new ones are nice.

3. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

I love this one, but I'm hearing about this new LCD screen, 4GB memory, and trackpad and I'm feeling a bit left out. :( I still have to test it out though.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can get 4-finger gestures on your MacBook Pro. I have them.

The screen is the same, except it's glossy.

You can have 4GB with yours. Heck, you can have 6GB with yours.

5. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

I thought there was some new screen that turns on instantly and has better image quality right?

I don't really mind memory I guess, but the new graphics card is suppose to be much better isn't it?

I wouldn't get a bigger trackpad, but how do I get 4 finger functions?

Another thing I thought was cool was the magnetic lid, but I do like my glowing button. :p

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It is a LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) powered by a LED (Light Emitting Diode) back-light.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They've been LCD screens since the Macintosh Portable. In 1989. They've been LED-backlit LCDs since your model.

Yes, your graphics card is broken. The new one is no better performance-wise.

There's a hack for 4-finger gestures. There's a thread here on it.

And the magnetic lid is nice. If these are the only reasons you want to switch, you don't need to.

8. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

LED. Both prev generation and new generation MBP's have LED screens. Nothing new. Video card is marginally better. Not worth the big price hit you'll get when selling your old MBP. Just be happy with what you have.

If you are determined to trade in, check out places like http://www.powermax.com/ where you can trade your Mac in. Low End Mac also has a list of used Mac dealers - some of them take trade-ins too.

Good luck!

9. ACiB708 macrumors regular

Prev Gen MBP

With your prev gen MBP ou get the exact same display, and the same processor. RAM in the new MBP is DDR3, which won't make THAT much of a difference. The only thing that would really make you change your mind id the design, but then again it is not necessary. Besides, going for your current MBP you won't have to spend 2000+ bucks.

10. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

plus the newer one is heavier :)

I'm with the others, there's no reason you NEED to trade up.

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

The new graphic card is slightly better. That is non sense to say it isn't any better performance-wise. Granted it isn't light years ahead, but it is better.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can't trade without selling your model to get the new one.

Of course you could just buy it, but I wouldn't recommend that.

And I'd say wait it out for a generation or two and let Apple iron out all the design kinks.