trade iPad for 3G version

Discussion in 'iPad' started by calvy, May 20, 2011.

1. calvy macrumors 65816

I've got a white 64GB wifi only ipad 2 that I got on launch day by waiting in line. I had a choice at the time, and opted to save money by not getting the 3G version. But now I regret it.

So I'm past my point of return at the Apple store. But, I also have a dent in it along the side near the glass. It's fine, nothing major, but of course kind of a bummer.

If I want to get me a 3G iPad 2, what should I do? Put this one on eBay, sell it and find me a new 3g version? Or is there another better option I'm overlooking?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Yes

3. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

I would look into selling it on either craigslist or a forum because you should be prepared to sell at a loss due to the fact that it is a used item, and has damage even if it is minor. If you go the ebay route you will lose even more after ebay and paypal fees which have become substantially higher in recent years. If i were you i would just suck it up and keep the wifi and look into just using your phone as a hotspot whenever you need 3G or get a mobile hotspot to carry around. Either way best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do.

4. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

I'd consider craigslist. I know there is some depreciation here because of damage. But I'm kimd of curious what I could get for it and how much it would cost me in the end.

I actually do have tethering enabled on my iPhone. I just don't need it that often. I wish I could turn it on and off as needed like on the iPad 3G data. It's quite an expensive monthly add on. Sucks to pay for it and not use it some months at all.

5. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I thought AT&T does let you switch back and forth from tethering to non-tethering plans. Have you tried that? I think it just takes a phone call.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You can, I do it all the time.

The tethering plan is pro rated and comes out to something like $0.60 a day,

7. bossxii macrumors 68000

This imo is the best option. Paying the 45 month for the times you need it, you get 4gigs of data on both devices/shared. If you happen to use 5gigs, you pay $10 per additional gig.

3g version... you pay $25 for 2gigs, you run out, you pay another $25 for 2gigs. The tethering deal is cheaper overall, and as stated above you can stop and start it with a phone call. Not to mention, the tethered plan allows data for 5 devices, so you can use it with a laptop, share with a friend that needs to check email on a laptop etc...

Also if you were on the $30 unlimited plan, it's only $15 bucks more for a "legit" tethering plan with no worries of which JB option is needed, if you will get nastygrams from ATT or cut off all together.

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

Clarification for the above post.

Those with the grandfathered $30 iPhone unlimited data Plan are not eligible for any add on $15 wireless tethering plan for ATT.

ATT wants to force those on unlimited iPhone or smartphone data plans onto tiered data plans in order to get the $15 tethering wireless hotspur option.

9. megsandbytes macrumors member

If it was 5 years ago you could have sold it at a loss on eBay and made up for it through shipping fees. Fast forward to today though and yeah you're much better selling it on Craigslist as already mentioned.

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

1. No calling necessary, I have the AT&T wireless app on my phone that lets me change my features when I want, in less than a minute after logging in, its quick and simple.

2. You need to be on a Data Pro plan ($25/mo) in order to enable tethering, if your on the unlimited plan, you won't have the option to tether.