Trade iPad2 for iPad3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Aviboy97, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Aviboy97 macrumors regular

I have an iPad2 coming my way from my employer within the next 30 days of which I won from a contest. I will receive it with the complete packaging and unopened. I wonder if I should just hold on to it until the iPad3 is released and try to exchange it. Do you think Apple will allow this?

I already have an iPad2 and really don't need another. The idea of the iPad3 in something to consider or I could just sell the iPad2 for cash and buy the iPad3 when it comes out.

Your thoughts?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Obviously no. Why would you think they'd just exchange it unless it's released within the next week or two?

4. Aviboy97 thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe not an equal exchange, but perhaps at a some sort of depreciation rate? I don't care if I have to come up with some money out of pocket, but being unopened I thought I might have a shot.

----------

I'm not getting the iPad for at least another month and we really do not know when the iPad3 will come out.

There have been instances where people purchased a Mac computer and were allowed to exchange it for the updated model at no additional charge.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

No chance. This would only work if Apple released a new model within the return period and if you had the original receipt. Since you're not the original purchaser, and there's no documentation where the iPad was purchased, they're not going to exchange it at some unknown time in the future.

6. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I would say your best bet is to put it up for sale "New in Box," soon after you receive it. Once the iPad 3 is released, the value of the iPad 2 will diminish. Sell it now, put the money aside so you don't spend it, add it to whatever you might fetch for your currently used iPad 2.

7. Akack macrumors 6502a

Why don't you try to get store credit now so you prepare to get the ipad 3 later?

8. Aviboy97 thread starter macrumors regular

Good idea. I will try that.

9. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Ummm how about be totally thankful and feel totally awesome you won an iPad 2 for free, with no cost to you, and be totally thrilled about it? Seems to me, thats way eaiser than exchanging or bitching about it? You won a $400+ device, appreciate it and use it.

10. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Who says he's not thankful? At this point it's his iPad and he wants to ask about trading it up for an iPad 3.

11. Aviboy97 thread starter macrumors regular

I already own a 64G 3G iPad2....that's why.

12. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

:)
    Usually people that are thankful, aren't looking to get rid of something they were just handed for free...

So that means a family member or friend couldn't use the one you were given as a prize? You have no use for it, but it was free, and I am sure someone you know would love an iPad....no?

Thanks for the down votes too fellas!:)

13. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Usually people don't have two iPads for themselves either.

Again it's HIS iPad.

Congrats on your successful troll mission BTW. Ignore list FTW.

14. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

You can always sell it to me for a very small fee

15. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Yes, store credit might be the yes idea... if not... well return it for an iPod, then in less than 14 days return the iPod... repeat until iPad 3 is out hehe

16. chrfr macrumors 603

This isn't going to work. Stores won't just take items back without a receipt. How would they know you haven't stolen this and are looking to "launder" it by returning the stolen iPad? If you have no documentation of the sale, you're going to have to sell it yourself. If the item was sold from an Apple store, they'll know where it came from but won't know why you have it so you'll still be out of luck.

http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_policies/retail_us.html says that receipts are required for return.

17. Aviboy97 thread starter macrumors regular

A co-worker of mine won an iPod Touch about 6-8 months ago and exchanged it for a gift card and then in turn used the gift card to buy the iPhone at the Apple Store. No reciept. He did have an invoice from the company that sent it to him. I believe the same company will be sending me the iPad. My employer uses a marketing company to issue prizes from time to time.

I will try this....if it dos not work, oh well. I'll give it a shot anyway!

18. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Troll? He asked/expressed himself on a public forum, how am I trolling? Also, I"m in tears, I made your ignore list. My day just went from great to bad! :cries::;)

Also didntsay he she keep two iPads, I said it'd be cool, to give the one he got FOR FREE, to a friend or family member who'd be stoked to get one, but that seems like a horrible option i suppose for him...

19. goMac macrumors 603

Apple's not going to do anything for you.

If you want to turn around and sell it yourself and keep the cash towards an iPad 3, that's your business.

(You could also try to return it straight to Apple.)

20. SporkLover macrumors 6502

That certainly makes things uber convenient. Did Apple give him the full value of the item on the gift card?

If they will still do this, then this seems to be the best option.