Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I just got the iPhone 5 and now have a nearly brand new iPhone 4 sitting in its box in a drawer collecting dust. It is a black 32GB ATT factory unlocked. I figure I can probably sell it via CL for around $300 but was thinking maybe I would trade it for an iPad mini if someone was so inclined.

I haven't really bartered before on CL but my main question is do you think this would be a fair trade?

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
You can sell it to me. My stepdaughter needs a new phone. Why don't you PM me and you can post it on eBay, I make the pmt, you send it. if you're interested, PM me ok.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
You can sell it to me. My stepdaughter needs a new phone. Why don't you PM me and you can post it on eBay, I make the pmt, you send it. if you're interested, PM me ok.

I appreciate the offer but I am not interested in using eBay because I refuse to pay those crooks fees for an auction, the final value and fees to paypal.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Of course is a fair trade for you :D

Not sure why it isn't a fair trade all around. I am seeing the 4 32GB unlocked sell between $285-$350 on eBay and listed on CL. The mini retails for $329 and factoring in a bit of depreciation for someones buyers remorse it would seem to be a worthy trade for both parties should someone in fact be interested.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Anyone who trades you an iPad mini for an iPhone 4 is a complete idiot. You should have to put in at least $75 minimum.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Anyone who trades you an iPad mini for an iPhone 4 is a complete idiot. You should have to put in at least $75 minimum.

I'm curious for your reasoning on having to put in $75? It is a factory unlocked 32GB iPhone 4 which is going for comparable money on eBay and I see similar offers on CL.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I'm curious for your reasoning on having to put in $75? It is a factory unlocked 32GB iPhone 4 which is going for comparable money on eBay and I see similar offers on CL.

Ur iPhone 4 is most likely more than 2 years old. Batteries degrade over time. It's way out of warranty. If something else goes wrong it may cost $150 to swap it out.

You can still get almost any att iPhone unlocked for $10 from various sites (even though its "illegal to unlock phones now without carrier consent"

iPad mini has at least 8-9 months of warranty left. It's still a "hot product"

You might find some suckers on Craigslist willing to pay you $300 for your 32gb iphone 4. There are suckers on Craigslist.

Honestly since I am a savvy buyer. I wouldn't pay more than $240-250 for an iPhone 4 32gb mint condition 2 year old phone.

iPad mini 16gb is still worth at least $300 on resale market.

That's why they said u need to throw in some money along with your iPhone 4.

Remember iPhone 4 is single core and iPad mini is duo core. Big jump in performance from single to duo core also.

Depends on a sucker you can find to do an even swap.

I live in Orlando area and right now can get a mint condition 32gb iPhone 4 unlocked for $250 or less (multiple listings) which means I can probably get someone down to $230 easily. Of course you got people listing for $300-400. Those will never sell at those prices.

----------

These are the completed eBay listings for iPhone 4 32gb ATT.

Average selling price is around $250-270. Factor in eBay fees. You are looking at a net of around $250 max for your iPhone unless you want to risk selling it internationally.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cell-Phones...pacity=32%20GB&Model=iPhone%204&_nkw=iPhone 4

S

syd430

I appreciate the offer but I am not interested in using eBay because I refuse to pay those crooks fees for an auction, the final value and fees to paypal.

They are crooks because they run a business for profit? Last time I checked, free enterprise can charge whatever they want. All of the information on fees is there upfront. Maybe the service isn't worth it for you but that's a bit of a stretch to be calling them criminals.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
They are crooks because they run a business for profit? Last time I checked, free enterprise can charge whatever they want. All of the information on fees is there upfront. Maybe the service isn't worth it for you but that's a bit of a stretch to be calling them criminals.

I don't appreciate paying final value fees to eBay and then another fee to PayPal which is owned by eBay. It is double dipping as far as I am concerned, especially if there isn't a credit card involved on the buyer's side of the paypal transaction.

----------

----------

[/COLOR]These are the completed eBay listings for iPhone 4 32gb ATT.

Average selling price is around $250-270. Factor in eBay fees. You are looking at a net of around $250 max for your iPhone unless you want to risk selling it internationally.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cell-Phones...pacity=32%20GB&Model=iPhone%204&_nkw=iPhone 4

If you actually look at the auctions in the US the factory unlocked phones are selling for over $300 in most instances so I fail to see how I am way off base in thinking a trade for a mini is fair.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I think you are better off just selling it and, depending on what you sell it for, use that $ to buy a new mini. For what it's worth, I just bought a like new 32 gb 4s for $300 on Craigslist, less than a year old. When it comes down to it, it's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. You might find that even with eBay's fees, you'll get more for it than on Craigslist. Unless you find that one person in your area that just has to have it. Good luck.

Last edited:

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I think you are better off just selling it and, depending on what you sell it for, use that $ to buy a new mini. For what it's worth, I just bought a like new 32 gb 4s for $300 on Craigslist, less than a year old. When it comes down to it, it's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. You might find that even with eBay's fees, you'll get more for it than on Craigslist. Unless you find that one person in your area that just has to have it. Good luck.

I looked for trades on CL and didn't see anyone with a mini for trade so I just listed it for sale. Hopefully I get a decent amount for it - I would be happy to get $275 for it; I'm not greedy

S

syd430

I don't appreciate paying final value fees to eBay and then another fee to PayPal which is owned by eBay. It is double dipping as far as I am concerned, especially if there isn't a credit card involved on the buyer's side of the paypal transaction.

Yes, I already know and understand all that, and you have every right to (and should) vote with your feet and not use their service if the cost is not worth the service they provide. It just irked me that you implied that they are criminals even though they were cleared of anti-competitive practices with the mandatory PayPal thing. Then again, you probably just meant it figuratively.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
That phone is worth a solid $250 after eBay fees. Why anyone would pay $300+ for a phone with internals nearing 4 years old (same CPU, and graphics as 3GS, the CPU is just 200mhz faster) is beyond me. Whether or not one agrees with ebays fees to use their service is another topic.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I looked for trades on CL and didn't see anyone with a mini for trade so I just listed it for sale. Hopefully I get a decent amount for it - I would be happy to get $275 for it; I'm not greedy

It's just a very hard trade to make. You are trying to trade 2.5 year old device for a 3 month old product (even though the product is running almost 2 year old tech that was in iPad 2).

I agree just to try to sell the iPhone 4 for whatever you can get. But in the end you are going to find you will probably end up paying $300 for iPad mini used 16gb wifi.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA

$275 sounds fair, since it's newish. Still covered by warrantee? That's a good selling point. I think we might see refurb iPad minis in the near future so that might be worth considering.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Well I had someone willing to trade their ipad mini straight up but then backed out because the $100 in case/screen protectors they were including gave them second thoughts. Someone else is offering them the same phone + cash but if that deal falls through they are coming back to me. Fingers crossed HAHA

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
So Cal
I have to side with the OP on eBay being crooks... I have no problem with them getting there auction fees, not crazy about the paypal double dip but you do have other payment options so I can't fault them too much for that. However when they started taking a cut of the shipping thenI really lost all respect. They are literally reaching into the sellers pocket and taking money out of it. Money they have no right too! The way they now set up the shipping rates, you are lucky if you even get your cost covered with no allowance for packing materials.

Then they take a cut AND Paypal also takes a cut!!!

On another note, you don't have to go through ebay to sell someone on this board something. You can just send them an invoice through paypal...

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I didn't literally mean crooks, but I am glad a few people see it my way. You used to be able to sell on eBay and make a decent profit and not give an arm and a leg in fees while not having to worry about being scammed. But alas, the times have changed. It irks me to pay through the nose in fees as a seller yet buyers have all the protection in the eBay marketplace.

On another note, you don't have to go through ebay to sell someone on this board something. You can just send them an invoice through paypal...

I realize I could do the transaction outside of eBay and send the invoice via paypal. I am guessing the buyer would prefer the eBay buyer protections afforded him in case there is something wrong with the phone. Fair enough - he doesn't know me and I don't know him.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Nobody would trade you a mini for an iphone 4.

----------

I have to side with the OP on eBay being crooks... I have no problem with them getting there auction fees, not crazy about the paypal double dip but you do have other payment options so I can't fault them too much for that. However when they started taking a cut of the shipping thenI really lost all respect. They are literally reaching into the sellers pocket and taking money out of it. Money they have no right too! The way they now set up the shipping rates, you are lucky if you even get your cost covered with no allowance for packing materials.

Then they take a cut AND Paypal also takes a cut!!!

You are right but its the best place to get the most for your items. Im currently selling an iphone 4s 16gb ATT, currently bidding at $320. I paid $200 for the phone on craigslist 3 months ago.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Since those of us on Macrumors are a little more aware of what's happening with Apple products, we wouldn't make this trade. But I've some real idiots when I sold stuff on Craigslist. I swear some don't do any research at all and pay my inflated price (which I put to account for people bargaining me down so in the end I still get a decent price). Back when I sold my iPad 2, the guy didn't even open the box to see the iPad. I could've filled it with rocks and he would've bought it. So I'd say list it and see if anyone bites.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
You are right. Sold an iPad 3 and dude just did a swipe to unlock and paid me. I mostly buy on craigslist, an average of a phone a week and I've bought some phoned without even really checking it out. It's a gamble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.