Trade MacBook Pro for Mac mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by kaedeiwao, Jun 12, 2019.

1. kaedeiwao macrumors newbie

I currently have a MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2.3ghz, 256gb, 2017 model which since March this year has had it’s battery replaced, logic board and ssd replaced and last week the logic board was replaced. This week I wake up my Mac to see a notice on my screen stating your computer has detected a potential problem after an Efi check and a folder eficheck.dump was created. I don’t know what that is.

My Mac works fine but I am just fed up with all these problems so I am considering selling it and buying the a Mac mini. I have all the peripherals as I had a Mac mini before. I would probably buy the i5 with 256gb and 8gb memory which would be similar to my MacBook Pro in spec. Portability is not an issue

Two things worry me about the mini

I have read that the gpu in the mini is inferior and that a performance difference would be seen when using video or photo editing software.

The Bluetooth problems discussed in this forum.

If someone could offer some advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. mpfuchs macrumors 6502

mpfuchs

I got my i7/512GB/8GB upgraded to 32GB last week and so far everything works great.
    No issues with the bluetooth and I'm running Lightroom and some Photoshop with no issues.
    I came from a 2014 13" MacBook Pro and the difference is night and day. I'm very happy with my purchase.

3. kaedeiwao thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. Your spec is much higher than my budget allows but after looking here

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-c...tel029&prod2=MacBookPro104&prod3=iMacIntel078

it seems that the i5 Mini is better in all aspects even with the inferior gpu. Also it is upgradeable whereas my MacBook is not.

4. mpfuchs macrumors 6502

mpfuchs

I used it with only the 8GB out of the box, and while the memory pressure was in the yellow, it still seemed fine for LR and PS.
    Since the RAM is user upgrade able, you could always add 16GB or 32GB in the future. Prices for them are coming down quite a bit as well.
    I also think with the i5 you'll be fine. The reason I went with the i7 was because I wanted to future proof it and use it for a long time to come.

Assuming you're in the US, look at B&H, they always have deals going on. Currently your spec is $1019 vs. the $1099 Apple is charging.