Trade MBP 15 inch for a new one, worth it ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sohoy, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Sohoy macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    It's my first post so please bear with me.
    I would like some opinion from you guys to know if it worth it.
    I got a MBP 15 inch ( 1 year old ) and i was thinking of upgrading it for more RAM and HDD to 200 GB, or should i trade my current MBP for a newer MBP.

And i am thinking how much could i get for my actual MBP?
    ( 1 year old, still in good shape, no bending or sort, clean, no issue at the moment for the hardware, 2.4 Ghz, 2 GB 667 MhzRAM, Ati Radeon X1600 256MB, SATA 120 GB of storage)

If i can get enough money from my current MBP i might be thinking of buying a new MBP or even a mac pro from it but its another story.

Thank you for your feedback.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

But why do you want the new MBP? Is there something it can do that your current machine can't?

I wouldn't recommend trying to keep up with a multi-billion dollar corporation. It's a losing battle.

3. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Browsing eBay it looks like your computer could sell for around $1600, with a well crafted auction page.

Last year the 2.4GHz was the mid-range MBP, so it cost you about $2500. The current mid-range is the 2.5 GHz for $2500. Selling your current MBP for $1600, means you spent $900 effectively for it. And you'll spend $2500 for a new MBP: that is $3400 in one year for two MBPs. And the new one is marginally faster than your current one.

Only you can say if it's a good computer and financial decision for yourself.

If money is a consideration, you'd get much more bang for your buck with upgrades.

4. kabunaru Guest

Don't trade it for a new one because the new ones appear to have some kind of a problem:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=510149

If anything, get a Mac Pro if you do sell your current MacBook Pro.
    I would suggest that you keep your original MacBook Pro though.

5. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

6. Sohoy thread starter macrumors newbie

All right

Thanks for all of your replies and i think i will keep my current MBP for 2 or 3 years more but i think for the moment i will change my HDD for a 200 or 250 GB, and i have another question if i may;

I want to change my 120GB HDD for a 200/250 GB HDD and i will bring my MBP to a apple store to have it upgraded.
    But i am just wondering, will they search inside my computer before installing my new HDD for test ? or will they install the new HDD directly? because i kind of have many private documents that i DO NOT want anyone to touch it.

Thank you very much :)

7. ihabime macrumors 6502

If you're having your HD replaced, shouldn't you back it up and wipe it clean first? They may offer data transfer as part of the service, but accidents do happen and your precious files can't be replaced.

remember, that's how they got Gary Glitter ;)

8. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Wow...
    According to that site my 2.2GHz MBP with 4GB RAM is worth just over £1000!!! Mint!

9. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

LOL!
    It's always good practice. I would NEVER sell a mac or any computer without wiping it first. And for Windows users, I don't just mean fdisk and format!!!

10. Sohoy thread starter macrumors newbie

OK i will back up everything i got on mac/windows first then i shall swap my HDD for a new one :D

Do you guys know which program would be better for back up and for formating? i got some program to back up my stuff but not for formating and i dont know if my programs are good or not since i never format or back up my stuff :cool:.

I would really appreciate if someone could tell me good programs for both mac/windoze.

oh and by the way, who is Garry Gliter?

Thank you very much bye

11. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  12. Sohoy thread starter macrumors newbie