Trade to an MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Andy348, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Andy348 macrumors 6502

I've got a white MacBook with the specs:

2.1Ghz
    4GB ram
    120GB HD
    Combo drive

And I'm thinking about upgrading to a MacBook Pro. I want an older aluminum one (not unibody) at around 2Ghz. I just want it really for watching online videos, which I do a lot of, to have the fans not cause so much noise and run a little cooler. With the dedicated graphics card, would it be possible to expect that? Right now if I'm watching a HD Youtube video, the fans make quite a bit of noise and it runs kind of hot.

What models had the bad GeForce cards in them causing failure?

All this or I could just buy some good noise cancelling headphones to stop the noise :)

2. ETID macrumors regular

I'm in exactly the same boat!! Its the macbook pros with the 8600gt that seem to fail. I have tried a unibody macbook with online videos and that males little noise if thats any help

3. Andy348 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

I'm going to look into cooling pads.. perhaps a lower temp = less fans... we'll see!

4. ETID macrumors regular

I'm not sure if this works but it worked for me. With your macbook plugged in, remove the battery then try to watch a video. Fans are silent. Obviously this has consequences e.g if the magsafe pops out!

5. Andy348 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll try that!

Anyone else?

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The reason for that is that is that without the battery in the processor throttles down to half speed so the system doesn't draw more power than is available. I don't recommend it as accidentally knocking out the magsafe without the battery can corrupt data or even cause a hard drive to fail under the right circumstances.