Trade Up to IPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by stockcerts, Jun 4, 2008.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

Are any of you considering trading up to the second generation IPhone? At this point I am guessing that I will, depending on what the new IPhone brings to the party. I held off buying a 1st generation IPhone, and I'm hoping it's matured into an even better product with the new release. I'll sell my ITouch on Ebay to offset some of the cost of the new phone.

2. Resist macrumors 68030

Only if AT&T rethinks their pricing tiers. It is way to expensive! And the iPhone equals the Touch in regards to memory.

3. icecold0913 macrumors member

thinking about doing exactly that, depending on what exactly iphone 2 will be. although i'm pretty sure that even though i LOVE my touch, i'd love the new iphone more, no matter what is unveiled next week.

4. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

the plan starts at $60. I dont think that's too expensive. the phone itself is what is expensive.

5. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

I listed my Touch on eBay last night. Hope I didn't jump the gun as I couldn't live without it, or an adequate replacement. I don't think $60- is out of line, especially when you consider the data access. Lets just hope the service cost isn't increased due to 3G.

6. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Yes, i've been thinking that i really want the iPhone. I have AT&T now. My contract is up also so i could get it subsidized if that rumor is true. I haven't listed my Touch on ebay yet. I don't want to part with it. :( but i know it's useless to have both the Touch and iPhone. I find it too frustrating to find free wi-fi with the Touch and that's why i want the phone. If i sell my Touch, i won't take less than $250 for it. I'm afraid the longer i wait, the less of a chance i have to get that much. I paid $325 for the 16G, so $250 would be good enough for me.

7. istealth macrumors newbie

Probably me too, after my current phone contract runs in march.

8. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

just cross your fingers that the 3g iPhone comes out this month and not later in the year

9. slappy sam macrumors member

Thats my plan... bought this touch on 5/30 so I can still return (up to 14 days). Have to pay the 10% restocking fee but it will probably be worth it, especially if prices drop and since the new software is coming out. I really want the iphone, but want to see what the 2nd gen one features.

I don't even need 32 gb... got a 32gb touch and realized I only had about 17gb of stuff to put on it. Out of that 17, 6.5 is video podcasts that once I watch will be deleted (so at any one time there should only be about a half gb of video on there) and I don't watch movies etc. I could do with a 2nd gen 16gb iphone very well :)

P.S. iphone does voice recording, correct? Can I voice record a note? Thats what I need... and outlook tasks integration.

I also want to sync my pinned locations in google earth (on my computer) with my itouch, is this possible?

10. Resist macrumors 68030

You guys are nuts thinking $60 a month is not expensive! I only pay $70 a month for two phones with Verizon.

11. icecold0913 macrumors member

do verizon phones have visual voicemail and the awesomeness that is safari on iphone? and that's not even taking into account most of their phones are crap anyway.

to me, the monthly fee is reasonable. especially if it isn't raised for iphone 2.

agreed that the price of the phone needs to be lowered, though.

12. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

visual voice mail is not a selling point to me. I'd rather have copy and paste rather than visual voice mail. the poster paying $70 for 2 phones on verizon probably does not have a data plan. if you dont have a data plan then the iPhone is not for you. safari is not awesome, its ok. it lacks so many basic functions so I dont think its apt for you to describe it as such.

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

The fact that the iPhone will now be subsidized is making it more attractive.

The Touch is rumored to drop in price in the Fall so that Apple can get it in the hands of more people.

I think a lot of people are using the Touch as a PDA. Would be nice if Apple mentioned what the percentage is at the keynote Monday.

14. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

as a PDA the touch is below par. its a toy. when compared to real PDA's

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I've used and have had very many "real PDA's" - both Palm and Windows Mobile - compared to the iPhone/Touch, they're all horrible.. (my opinion).

16. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

in what way. the touch doesnt have a useful alarm, you can't read or edit any kind of document (PDF etc), no copy and paste to mention a few. I'm sure on your palm you could do so much more.

17. Resist macrumors 68030

Are we talking about a "TELEPHONE"? I don't buy a phone to text chat or take pictures. I buy a phone to talk.

But considering you kids just accept today's high prices on things, it is no wonder you think $60 a month is fair for telephone service. You probably have forgotten when gas was under a few bucks a gallon. Consumers can control pricing, so I expect soon enough cell phone service will be $200 a month and you will gladly pay it. Not me!

18. aethelbert macrumors 601

Then:
    1. Don't buy a phone that can do anything besides make/receive calls. You'll pay less.
    2. Don't judge pricing just on this ability. If you don't want it, fine. But the fact that you'd only use it to talk does not mean that the pricing is unfair.

19. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

All of which will be addressed on Monday, June 9....

20. aethelbert macrumors 601

And this was announced when? The same date as all of the other speculation?

21. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Two phones with 700 shared minutes and unlimited data plans would run you about $190 per month on Verizon. I know, because I'm on Verizon and I've thought about upgrading to a smart phone. I'm probably going to end up switching to AT&T and getting an iPhone, possibly as soon as next week.

Then the iPhone is obviously not for you. People that buy them (or other smart phones) want much more than just the ability to talk.

How exactly does a "kid" like me (who remembers buying $0.87 gas as recently as 9-10 years ago) "just accept today's high prices?" Consumers only control prices when governments and corporations don't artificially inflate prices. Comparing an expensive, innovative piece of new technology to over-priced gasoline is a completely unrealistic, ridiculous way to address the issue.