traded 6+ colors with friend...transferring apple care?

enthawizeguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
North Hollywood, CA
So my friend decided he wanted space grey and i wanted white and gold we switched sims and restored everything works good... i bought apple care though and he didn't. Will apple transfer my coverage if i call them ? what do i do? i really don't want to lose out on my 99 dollars?

SHOaks

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
lol you should have called apple before making the trade, sounds like he got the better deal

SundayDuffer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011
I believe you can. Best to go to the apple store to change. Better if you can bring your friend along to attest the trade.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
From what I understand AppleCare+ follows the device you bought it for, not the owner. Perhaps if it's within the last 30 days you can get a refund for it and then buy it for the phone you received in the trade.

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Don't know if they'll transfer but I've had them cancel AppleCare before. You'll get most of your money back

Gjwilly

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
They might not transfer it but with the phones being so new they will cancel and refund the AppleCare on the old phone and then let you repurchase it for the new phone.
Amounts to the same thing.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
do i need to transfer with att to if I'm on next and have insurance with them as well?
We'll that sure complicates matters...

The phone you just traded to your friend is on NEXT? I'd say check with them first (unless you plan to just continue paying the $27/mo until it's paid off) if you can even transfer that responsibility before anything.

enthawizeguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
North Hollywood, CA
We'll that sure complicates matters...

The phone you just traded to your friend is on NEXT? I'd say check with them first (unless you plan to just continue paying the $27/mo until it's paid off) if you can even transfer that responsibility before anything.
Att transferring it shouldn't be a problem ... Apple care has to look into it they said normally they wouldn't but since I spent 20-30 hours on the phone prior to preorder and 20 hours in line they are Gonna take that into account

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.