Traded in my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Atomicfission92, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Atomicfission92 macrumors regular

Hey All,

Just got back from the Apple Store a bit ago. Decided to trade in my new MBP 2.53Ghz for the new iMac 3.06 I figure I can pick up a used Macbook on ebay or something and still get that portability factor. Saved quite a bit of money as well in the exchange. :)

Best part was I bought my MBP on 2/09/09 And when I said I wanted to exchange it they didn't even say anything about restock or past the return date. They just processed it with a smile.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Trade? How did that work out?

What I mean to ask is did they charge you restocking?

3. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, just said I wanted to exchange it for the new iMac and they just processed it. Just looked at the receipt to see that I bought it within a reasonable amount of time.

4. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Apple Stores have been known to waive restocking fees if you plan to purchase another high ticket item from them.

5. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm assuming they refund your money or did they put the difference on a gift card or something?

7. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

Oddly enough they didn't even check to see that the MBP was in the box, yet alone the serial numbers, for damaged or to see if it was actually a MBP in the box. Probably because I went to the Apple store about 30 minutes before they were closing. (They were actually putting out the new iMacs, and Mini's when I was in there)

Refunded my money in the original form of tender.

8. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Would you have traded the MBP for last week's iMac?

9. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

Probably not. Because it wasn't the upgraded processor, ram and graphics. But now with the money I saved with going with the iMac, I can save up a bit and get a Macbook for portability. And it will come out less then if I would of gotten the MBP and 24" ACD. And I am getting 2 Macs out of the deal. So for me it was a worth while exchange with my plans right now.

10. Cubsin09 macrumors member

I bought a 2.53GHz 15" UMBP on 2/7/09. Last night before I went to bed I saw that they upgraded the processor speed from 2.53 to 2.66. So I freaked! I read this thread and figured I would try my luck and try to get it exchanged with the Apple Store (Oak Brook, IL) after work today. I was worried they would deny me because it has been more than 14 days. I called and told them the situation in a very firm manner. They immediately denied any upgrades to the MBPs. "Sir, I can assure you no updates were made to the MacBooks." I then asked her to check her corporate website which clearly displayed a new pic above the laptop. "Sir, I appologize my manager said we can swap that out for you. We can also swap your data" So I show up after work and get this kid who gave me the same crap. "MacBook Pros were not updated." So I was ready to loose it. I kept my cool and showed him the site. Went to the back and walked out with my 2.66GHz UMBP! "Look at that, sorry about that." I asked about swapping out my data. "You will have to leave it here for 48 hours":eek: I never once smiled at the guy til I had the upgrade in my hands. The key is to be firm. I am so glad they took my exchange even though they had no obligation to do so. Long story short I am happy with my new MBP at home. Now I have to go transfer all my stuff over to it! My next purchase is an external HD for shure.

11. zorahk macrumors 6502

You could have overclocked it the 130mhz

12. emotta macrumors member

i too purchased mine on the same day. i went in to the store today as well but to get me a 17 with anti-glare. he told me they would not charge me the restocking fee. but! the matte displays werent in stock. He said that his manager okayed the swap but i will have to keep checking in until they have them in stock. Does this sound right? do you think they will change their minds later on?

13. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

The problem is that they will never be in stock. Online custom orders only.

14. emotta macrumors member

They will be available in the stores. but god knows how long. im thinking that i should just get the glossy and call it a day.

15. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

Thats why I went for the stock GPU on the iMac, Didn't want to wait to get the upgraded one from Apple.

16. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

That's good to hear. Does the new MBP have a built in paragraph checker?

17. nickcliborne macrumors regular

The GT130 isn't really an upgrade over the 8800 in the previous 3.06 So basically you're just getting DDR3 memory out of the deal because the processor will be mostly a wash.

The 4850 would have been well worth the wait.

18. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

If the lead time comes down from 4-6 weeks then I might exchange it again if I feel like I need it. The GT130 is basically the same GPU that was in the MBP I owned. So for me it wasn't a big deal.