Trading 13" MBP for the new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DevinPitcher, Sep 19, 2012.

1. DevinPitcher macrumors regular

Okay, so here's my predicament. I'm a freelance web designer. Earlier this year, I sold my 15" MacBook Pro when I scored a Mac Pro for $140 off craigslist. I used the Mac Pro for almost all my work, so I had no real need for the MBP for real work anymore. I had the opportunity to buy an original 64GB WiFi+3G iPad for $330 or so, new. I did. I figured this would be good for meeting up with clients and going over things easily. I liked the iPad a lot, but I also was only on iOS 4 (I think?) at the time. Also, no retina display. I felt limited. So I ended up selling it to my brother for a small profit and bought myself a 13" Early 2011 MBP for $900 new.

I've used it very little, and most of the time it sits. around the house unused, and only gets used when I go to meet with a client. Now, I feel like its getting wasted. I use it to show off some sites, show off some web templates they might be interested in for Wordpress, and things like that. Maybe on occasion I'll open up an FTP connection and make some edits, but thats about it.

Well now, they have an app called Diet Coda, which looks like it might do all of what I need. Also, with a jailbreak, I might be able to get a few functions (like downloading and saving files from online and being able to upload them via FTP?) to do anything else I might need. So here's my question: do you think an iPad will be fine for me now? A lot has changed in terms of iOS 4 -> 6, and from iPad 1 -> 3.

Also, is a straight up trade for an early 2011 13" MBP (2.3 i5, 4GB, 230GB) for an iPad 3 64GB WiFi+Cellular (AT&T) seem fair, or am I getting the lower end? Both are mint condition.

Thanks!

2. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

you'll want more than an iPad if you intend on meeting with clients.

keep your 13" MBP

3. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

You are crazy if you think someone will trade you the top of the line iPad for a 13in mbp...

4. tdream macrumors 65816

My theory is anyone who has a top of the line iPad, already has a macbook or does not need one.

5. DevinPitcher thread starter macrumors regular

Well, somebody did? So....

6. LanEvo macrumors 6502

I think you should reconsider, you getting the lower end by $100. Check the prices on EBay or Amazon.

7. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

The you are crazy for not taking it.

8. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Silly question really. For a developer the Macbook pro makes sense and cannot be replaced by an iPad. Sensible solution is to buy both.

9. DevinPitcher thread starter macrumors regular

Keep in mind, I still do have a Mac Pro at home.

10. larange macrumors newbie

You've been able to score super good deals so far, why can't you just find an ipad3 for cheap too?

11. DevinPitcher thread starter macrumors regular

Haven't found anything that great yet. Always got my eyes peeled though.