Trading 32GB for 64GB - How to transfer monthly data plan?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by appleii2mac, Mar 29, 2012.

1. appleii2mac macrumors regular

I'm going to be bring my 32 GB back to the Apple store and getting a 64 GB instead. Can I transfer my pre-paid 2GB data plan over to the new one? If so, how do I do it? Or do I just log in to my Verizon account on the new iPad?

2. donster28 macrumors 65816

Umm...don't you just remove the sim card from the old one and pop it in the new?

You need a sim card to access a data plan and you should have gotten one when you paid for your plan.

3. drir1990 macrumors member

I think just logging into your account on the new iPad would be your best bet. That's how I switched on my Verizon iPad 2. But since the new one has a sim card I think just switching it out would work too.

4. appleii2mac thread starter macrumors regular

Well I canceled the subscription because I was only testing it out for a month to see if I was going to use it a lot. And does the Verizon iPad have a SIM by default? I guess it has one for international roaming, but does that even apply to the LTE/CDMA access domestically?

5. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Verizon iPads come with SIM cards in them.

To transfer plans, you can just call up Verizon and have them transfer plans between iPads. That's what I did between my iPad 2 and my 3rd Gen iPad.

6. appleii2mac thread starter macrumors regular

Even if it's a partially used month?

7. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Yup. I had used about 150 MB of my 2 GB data plan. Transferred straight to my 3rd Gen iPad from my iPad 2. The customer representative can walk you through what you need to do, should take you maybe 10 minutes.

Just keep both iPads handy, cause you're going to have to tell them some information from the general settings, like the IMEI number.

8. trek360 macrumors 6502

I have AT&T and needed a replacement. It should just roll over to the new iPad. No need for SIM swap with the first one. The plan date stays the same. If there are any issues you may need to contact Verizon and confirm the serial and imei/iccid on the new device.

Interestingly AT&T advised me to remove the sim from any iPad being returned. Not sure whether any info can be gleaned from a deactivated sim but it seemed to make sense in general.

9. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Not sure what AT&T does, but for Verizon, you specifically need to call them in order to transfer plans. There is no option on the iPad itself, only the option to sign up for a new data plan. Same amount of data used/unused transfers over, same billing dates.

10. appleii2mac thread starter macrumors regular

Kind of hard to do when I'm returning one to the apple store.

11. mokeiko macrumors 6502

On your new AT&T iPad, there's an option in the cellular settings to login as an existing customer and transfer the account to the new iPad. In less than 30 seconds you will get a notification that your account has been activiated on your sim. From what I understand, what ever remaining balance you had on your previous iPad will carry over to the new iPad because your account is tied to the sim. Hope this helps.

mokeiko