Trading 8gb with 16gb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AustinIphoner, Jun 17, 2009.

1. AustinIphoner macrumors member

Hey, i need a question answered really quick, ive searched the interwebs and couldnt find the specific thing im needing.

i have a 8gb iphone 3g, my mom has a 16gb 3g. She doesnt use barely 3gb of her memory, where i have only 500mb left on mine. She said she would trade with me. So obviously i need to switch the sim cards, but what about syncing and keeping my photos and apps? i have over 100 apps and over 300 pictures ive taken

what do i need to do? If someone has AIM or Ichat PM me your Sn and you can explain, or just reply with the answer, what ever is easier.

much appreciated.

BTW: whats the deal with MMS on 3G? do you have to upgrade your plan with ATT? this is totally lame if its the case, Apple didnt explain that when they said we now can send MMS!!

2. applerocks macrumors regular

With MMS, Apple made it clear AT&T would be late to the game.

As far as SIM switching, the data on your phone is in no way tied to the SIM card. Theoretically, when you swap the SIMs, you might be able to keep going (since both are already iPhone SIMs).

If not (and the chances are low that it will work with just a SIM swap), iTunes will tell you to reconnect the iPhones, and you'll just transfer that data that should already be on your computer (or just restore from a backup). Either way, your data should be backed up on your computer, and the SIM swap does not actively delete data.

3. AustinIphoner thread starter macrumors member

sweet. will try that. thanks!!

4. AustinIphoner thread starter macrumors member

seems to be working, syncing my 9gb of music onto the 16gb now. Only thing is it shows what my mom named her iphone when i plug it in. Ive looked around, cant find a way to rename it. is that possible?

5. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I would backup both phones in iTunes, switch sims, then restore from each backup on the new phones. You should have all of your old content.

6. AustinIphoner thread starter macrumors member

ya, i synced both of them before updating to 3.0. So both of them are on 3.0 now with a backup done just before. Ill find out in an hour or so when its done syncing all my crap lol

7. AustinIphoner thread starter macrumors member

CRAP! apparently my iphone wasnt backing up when i was syncing. it was just syncing. Last backup was last dec!!! i wont lose my apps cause they are all in my itunes, but im worried about my pics, they should have been carried over right during the sync?