Trading an iPhone for an iPad. Worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by psherman42walla, Jan 12, 2011.

1. psherman42walla macrumors member

I am thinking of trading my iPhone 4 for a friend's iPad. Just wondering if anyone has done this and if so which version is a good trade? Do you think an iPhone 4 is worth a Wifi only version or one that has 3G, maybe I should wait and sell my iPhone 4 and save the money for the new iPad that will hopefully come out this year...?

I guess does anyone here use an iPad but does not have an iPhone at all?

Also, will my iPhone unlimited data plan work on a 3G iPad, with some jailbreaking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. =D

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Having used both, the iPad is great but I think that you might be a bit disappointed with the screen compared to the iPhone 4. The user interface scale is different between the two devices but resolution is pretty close.

I guess it depends on what you want to do, and whether you really like using an iPad (Have you used your friends a lot?).

Technically, an iPhone 4 is worth more than a baseline iPad, at $599 actual price vs $499 for the iPad.

We're also probably also getting very close to the iPad 2 announcement, probably less than two months.

3. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

They are completely different, depends on what you need, if you need a phone then the iPhone is great, if you just search the web and view emails then the iPad is the perfect solution, it all depends, although the iPad in two months will change completely and I doubt the iPhone 4s or iPhone 5 will change much.

I would stick with the iPhone.

4. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Personally, I wouldn't be able to do without my iPhone. Unless, of course, you have a back up phone you can use if you do trade it for the iPad. I own both devices, and even though I love both, I would keep my iPhone over my iPad. But that's just me.

5. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

You're the person who needs to answer this question in regard to what makes the most appropriate device in your life—but price wise, there's a good chance (depending on specs of phone and iPad) that iPhone 4 of yours is worth more money: should you decide the trade is worthwhile a new iPad and money leftover is better than a used iPad.

6. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

I love my ipad. But I would certainly rather have an.iphone. its something that itt would genuinely be hard to live without. I could do without my ipad much more easily.

7. psherman42walla thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! This help a ton, and I will not be trading. Apple should develope an accessory like the Atrix "webtop" where people can "dock" their iPhone into an iPad like screen and the phone powers the iPad. Yay? Or Nay?

But does anyone know if an iPhone 4 sim card with unlimited data plan work in an iPad? Does it require jailbreaking the iPad?