Trading an iPhone in and Getting an 'Error' Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kstefanick, May 31, 2008.

1. kstefanick macrumors newbie

kstefanick

First question:
    I have a 4GB iPhone and I was thinking of getting a 8 or 16GB one, would I be able to trade in my iPhone for one of those and of course pay difference? I sure I won't be able to trade my 4GB for $300 because its been used but maybe around $250 or so?

Second question:
    I keep getting this "error" that tells me that "This Accessory is Not Made to Work for iPhone" and asks if I want to enable Airport Mode. It comes up every time I unlock my phone, randomly when my phone is locked, when I plug my phone in to sync it or into my standard iPhone charger that I've used ever since I got my phone. I haven't done anything to my phone like getting it wet, unlocking it or dropping it.

Thanks for any input!

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

You can't "trade it in" but you can sell it. I'd unlock it and sell it on eBay, you'll get more then you think for it. But keep in mind AT&T recently had 8GB refurbs for $250.

Check the USB/dock connector on the bottom. Sometimes there'll be a piece of lint or fuzz or something in there that will cause that.

3. kstefanick thread starter macrumors newbie

kstefanick

Thanks! I'll look into selling it on eBay and see how much I can get for it. If cleaned the bottom of my phone when it first started happening and it didn't help :(

4. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

The Connection error might be something you should surely have an Apple store take a look at...

5. maxxscholten macrumors regular

Yeah, I'd take it into Apple to have them take a look at the problem you're having because that shouldn't be happening... I've even heard of people bringing in their 4GB because of a problem and having it replaced with an 8GB!

6. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I'm willing to bet that you will walk out of the store with an 8GB iPhone - If you have restored and nothing has fixed the problem then it is a hardware failure -

7. neven macrumors 6502a

Just last week I saw an Apple store visitor receive a 4 GB replacement, so I'm not sure if it's time yet to bet on a lack of 4 GBs.

I agree, however, that you'll get a replacement in minutes if the problem occurs when you bring the phone in.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

They probably won't replace your iPhone for "This Accessory is Not Made to Work for iPhone" b/c it's not a problem with the iPhone, but the device that you are connecting to aka: dock. They will replace the dock, normally takes 3-5 working days for the replacement to arrive, then you get a phone call or email, then you stop-by the Apple Store and the problem continues to be a problem. Strongly recommend that you get some compressed air and attempt to remedy the situation via a couple of blasts to the dock. Keep an eye on the iPhone connection to your vehicle charger or else you will ZAP your iPhone when you turn your car on and off while it is plugged in. Be careful. :cool:

9. kstefanick thread starter macrumors newbie

kstefanick

Thanks for all your input guys. I live in Southern California and I have to drive quite a ways to an Apple store, which is weird but that's why I've been putting it off. I thought they'd have 4GBs to give out any way, I didn't think I'd be getting an 8GB. But I'll see if they can give me an 8GB or 16GB and I can pay the difference. That would be sweeeet.

SFStateStudent -- the problem happens when I plug it in and right after I unlock it and whenever I get a text and randomly when my phone is locked the message will pop up. Thanks for the car charger advice but I'm currently not driving, on strike because of gas prices. There's a ton of people in my area that are doing it FTW!

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I had the exact same issue with my dock and they got me a new dock and the problem still exists, and I still use my car charger, but I make sure that it's unplugged when I start the car up or shut it down. I think it's a power-surge thing, that wacks the iPhone. My message usually pops up as soon as I plug in to the dock (which includes the BT charging slot) or the car charger and there's no sound click and the text msgs have no click sounds as well. I'm originally from West Covina, CA, so I know what you're going through. Keep in touch.