Trading Computers over Long Distance Questions/Help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Rapmastac1, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I'm currently setting up a deal to trade my MacBook for an iMac. I want to minize my wires and I would honestly rather have an all-in-one (and I'm looking for a change, Leapord!).

I'm trading with another member here -> http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=582148 < -

I'm wondering how we should go about the shipping process. He wants me to ship my Mac out first and when he receives it, he will ship the iMac out and when I receive the iMac, I will PayPal him the money to cover a new battery. He is going to be giving me his dad's full name, phone number, and address. What else should I know to protect me and my investment. He has been a member here for a long time so I'm not too worried.

I'm just looking for some advice and help. Are there any services out there that we ship the computers to, they verify and then ship them out the rest of the way. So if I ship my computer out and he doesn't, then they will ship my computer back to me after a certain amount of time.

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I would recommend getting a phone number and contacting him before hand. Then you set up a certain day that you will both ship the items in the trade. You then set up a time to call each other that day or the next, (depending on when the tracking numbers get into the system) and exchange tracking numbers. That way you can both see the packing has been sent. It also give you time to redirect the shipment if one person fails on their end of the deal. No granted there some limitations to this method (ie someone shipping an empty box) but its a risk you run in doing a deal like this. Also, just try to get as much info as possible, and perhaps try talking to any adult he mentions. Anytime there is a deal like this risk is involved, so be aware.

3. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

I'd make sure they have references, but i have had no problems buying on this forum. This is probably one of the most reliable forums to buy from.

4. Rapmastac1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Thank you for your suggestions. I should bring up that idea of both of us calling and getting tracking numbers and swapping them together. I think that idea would be best. I will mention this thread to the trader and see what he thinks.

The iMac is his fathers and I told him specifically that I would NOT ship the MacBook until I have spoken with his father over the phone. If they are truthful (which I'm sure they are) then it will be a good rest assurance for the both of us.

I have spent a little bit cleaning my MacBook and am installing OSX at the moment. I have reinstalled XP on my PC and will be using this in the meantime. UCK I forgot how much I hate Windows. Oh well, at least my PC is very fast, it won't be too bad!

5. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

one other thing is make sure they know what it's going to cost to ship it. Alot of people don't know what shipping heavy things really costs. I have a center console for my saturn and someone wants to buy it, so i looked up the shipping on ups, fedex, and dhl and it's going to cost over $40 and it only weighs 13lbs.