iPad Trading for an IPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AlanMac95, Feb 9, 2014.

1. AlanMac95 macrumors newbie

So I have an extra iphone 5s for T-Mobile, and I'm looking to trade it for an iPad Air. I met someone on craigslist who is willing to trade me his brand new iPad air for my phone. (My phone is gently used, no scratches or anything)
    Is there anyway that I can check that the iPad isn't stolen? I just wanna make sure that the iPad isn't blacklisted and whatnot, that it's fully functional. Thanks for your help, sorry if I sound dumb lol

2. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

It's hard to say for sure if it's stolen but a place to start is to insist on activating it before you pay. That way you don't pay, get home and find out activation lock is on and the seller unreachable. It won't be obvious from just powering it on, get all the way to the home screen. And if it is already activated when it is handed to you, check that there is no iCloud signed in. If there is, make user delete the account and then erase all (under the general--reset) and reactivate it.

3. AlanMac95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, so to reactivate, I simply treat it like a brand new iPad and type in my iCloud and such? Once again, sorry if this is a dumb question. I'd just like to be completely clear :)

4. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

Also make sure he removes the iPad from his icloud, even if he removed it on the device and did a erase and restore when activating it it will ask you for there apple id & password, it's the activation lock feature.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Good advice, that and find my iPad needs to be removed before you can take ownership.

6. AlanMac95 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I can register the device on my apple, does that mean that I am able to activate it? thanks again! :)

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

yes :apple:

8. RDAR macrumors 6502

Hey I'm gonna be selling my iPad 4, so should restoring it be enough? Like when it's first new and ask for your Apple ID and iCloud I just don't type it and let the new owner type there info in it. Or do I have to delete it somewhere else, if so where or what website would I go on to do that?