Trading HDs between a Macbook and Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkPB15, Feb 8, 2008.

1. MarkPB15 macrumors newbie

So I've decided I need to upgrade from my 2ghz Blackbook to a Macbook Pro. Luckily for me my girlfriend bought the latest Macbook Pro 2.2ghz right before she started grad school in September. She realized that she didn't need all that power and wanted something smaller since she has to lug it around campus a bit. So the trade was an obvious solution for both of us (yes, I am giving her a bit of a financial incentive).

Here's my question. I just put a new 250gb drive in my mac book and I want to keep that because I need the space. So, can I just put my HD in the macbook pro and hers in the macbook and be ok. Will I need to reinstall the OS so its optimized for the correct computer?

I installed a hd in my old PB g4 back in the day so I am not worried about the installation.

Also, I have leopard, but I will be upgrading her to leopard once the HD have been swapped. Thanks for the help.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yes, you can swap the HDs and you shouldn't need to re-install.

3. MarkPB15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet!!!

2 more questions...

Also, do you think I am being fair by giving her an additional $500? I did upgrade the ram to 2gb.

She may have to use 3D studio max eventually. I don't think it'll be anything extreme, but will the macbook handle it ok? How much of 3D Studio relies on the graphic card?