Trading HP Touchsmart for 24" iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ThePope43, Apr 4, 2010.

1. ThePope43 macrumors member

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering what you're opinions are on me trading my HP Touchsmart Iq846(the biggest most powerful hp touchsmart made, although just like an pc, still slow) for this lady's barely touched(literally) 3 week old 24" iMac.

I found her on Craigslist and she's legit and I'm planning on going an trading her tomorrow, this will be my first Mac!!!!!!!!!!

2. Coldmode macrumors regular

A 24" iMac has to be at least six months old. Last October the design switched to a 21.5" model and a 27" model, so you're going to be trading for a well used machine. If she is saying that the computer is three weeks old, then she is clearly not the first owner and might not know where it came from.

If you still want to trade that's up to you, but you're definitely not getting a three week old machine.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

A 3 week old 24" iMac? Are you sure its a 24"?

they stopped making 24" iMacs last October.

They have only been available as a refurb since then.

Whats your HP worth? $900?

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...it's possible to only be 3 weeks old, our base PX still has NIB 20" & 24" iMac's...

Check the specs of it under about this Mac at the top left "apple" and let us know more about the machine, OP...

5. vegas-steven macrumors regular

does it have applecare?
    i had a bad experience that apple made great with an imac... apple fixed it but it was a video issue that would have cost me nearly $800 to fix had they not done it for free (one reason i do love apple)

so thats something to consider.
    all in one computers dont just fail... they DIE.

not like a desktop. all in ones often live a long time or die badly. you cannot just swap components out for new ones... just google "imac logic board failure" (no quotation marks) and see what i mean:

http://www.google.com/search?aq=2&o...id=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=imac+logic+board+failure

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

That was 6 years ago on those logic boards.

Millions of "all in one" computers out there Macs and PCs, they are called "laptops".

7. vegas-steven macrumors regular

no, it wasnt six years ago.
    i have a september 2006 imac.
    it was the ati video that went.

so no, it wasnt six years ago.

8. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I say go for it, as long as the 3 weeks old bit does check out. If not, then something is suspicious and I'd avoid it. 24" iMacs are (still) very nice machines. :)

9. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

If that is your attitude towards your machine, then better get that iMac.
    You will never be really satisfied with "a slow PC".

10. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Apologies, your google link only had G5 iMacs in them, which yes, were notoriously bad for logic boards. Apple even had an extended repair plan for them.

11. ThePope43 thread starter macrumors member

Sorory for the late reply, yes it is definitely a 24" iMac. She still has all the books and cd's in the packaging completely untouched, and she even has all the plastics over the screen!!! She also showed me her receipt and order number to prove when it was bought.

My Touchsmart is a 26" but damn there is too much **** slowing me down on here....I also want to start programming for the iPad.

12. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Then its a refurbished 24" iMac, not brand new. Again, no "new" 24" iMacs since last October.

Whats the specs on the iMac? There were several models, some far more capable than others.

Any idea what your HP is worth if you were to sell it on ebay?

13. RudyGrow macrumors regular

14. ThePope43 thread starter macrumors member

Here's a link to the product straight from her invoice:

http://www.macmall.com/p/5349082?dpno=7761476

and there are some problems with the laser inputs for the hp touchsmart when this one came out, but that's not my problem anymore, it's hers. Yes mine does have bluray, but the other parts are less than that of her iMac.

15. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

So you have already made the switch?

That iMac is $1350 from Apple as a refurb.

And there is no price on the MacMall site, so no idea how much she paid for it?

Its a decent machine, expensive to go to 8 gigs of ram ($350 vs $100 for new iMac) but not a bad deal if your HP wasnt worth more...

16. ThePope43 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I found out she did get it as a refurbished computer, so I decided to cancel the trade. I'm going to try to sell my Touchsmart on Craigslist or maybe I could try to install OSX on here :p

17. vegas-steven macrumors regular

Not a problem. A better link would have been:

http://www.google.com/search?q=imac+horizontal+lines+on+screen

that was exactly what I had experienced. Apple also had an extended warranty on that problem as well that the genius at the store told me was not officially documented, as in unless you brought it in and was diagnosed in store you probably wouldn't have been covered under it or offered it.

Apple fixed mine out of warranty for free, partly because my family buys apple stuff semi annually and he said he wanted to fix it before I called cupertino and had the head office authorize a fix for free.

Back to the OP:
    hp has some of the WORST tech support I have ever experinced. I will never buy a new hp product. A client of mine had an hp notebook 7 days out o an extended warranty program and not only did they deny service, I was hung up on twice when navigating their upper tiers of customer support to try and get a manager to make a seven day exception considering it was an extended warranty for andead video issue similar to other products like the MacBooks and iMacs had.

It turned me off of them for good.

18. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Again, how much do you think you can get for your HP?

Even though it is a refurb, it still qualifies for full Apple warranties just like new. Not sure why if all she wanted was a Windows machine would have been to buy a mac. Email her and tell her she can install windows right on it, just needs to spend $100 on a copy of XP.

19. ThePope43 thread starter macrumors member

She sold the iMac for 1400$ and I told her if she wanted my netbook and HP Touchsmart I wanted no less than 1800$ so we'll see what she says there.

If so, I will be looking towards a 27" iMac.

20. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

If you can get $1800 for your netbook and the HP, then that was a crappy trade.

Sell them and get the $1800.