Trading ibook G4 for MacBook, is it worth it ?? Reason: Autocad on Windows

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by igmolinav, Sep 16, 2008.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

I have a 12" ibook G4, and my sister a 1.83 GHz MacBook. She says, she would be willing to help me, by giving me her MacBook in exchange for my ibook G4.

My question is, is it worth it ?? Will it be fast ?? The only reason for this, is because I need to use Autocad on Windows. I mean, my ibook G4 is really great after three years.

Thank you very much, kind regards,

igmolinav

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Is this a trick question? Take the MB man. The iBook is way slower.

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

The graphics with the GMA 950 might not be able to handle Autocad though although I don't have any technical experience with it personally.

4. gonyr macrumors 6502

Absolutely make the trade. As in, do it right now, before she changes her mind.

5. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

iBook used to have dedicated vram (32/64mb) but the newer macbook with integrated gpu will still be much faster. As long as you don't use photoshop or games on the macbook it will outperform the ibook every time. :)

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If I knew that my sister didn't know squat about computers, I probably wouldn't take this deal out of simple compassion. She's getting the s*** end of the stick, so to speak.

Great deal for you. :)

Bad for her. :(

I personally wouldn't do it, but it really depends on how much you like your sister. :p

7. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

How many times must we go over this? Photoshop is not accelerated with a discreet graphics card. It is completely dependant on CPU. GPU acceleration is only now being touted as a feature in CS4.

But back to the question, I agree with Abstract. You're really doing your sister a disservice. Your iBook is a very old model that may not even be able to upgrade to the next version of OS X. The Macbook is worth far more and is relatively future proof for the next few years.

At least throw in a bit of money to make it better for her.

8. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

lmao

Anyways, as Abstract and Louis said you may be taking advantage of your sister. Just depends on your sisters situation with how/why she got that laptop and her uses/needs for the laptop.

Either way hope it works out for both.

9. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Up until CS3, PS was written for PPC if I'm not mistaken. And I don't know about him, but I cannot afford the latest version. CS2 is faster on my powerbook than mbp.