Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Ok I understand now. So LED just means pretty much a brighter screen? but what I really want is IPS? The Mac Pro came with the 20" ACD, its just not bright enough for me. picture looks great tho. Also would you suggest a 512mb car or 1gb card? would I notice the difference between them if I dont do gaming or editing. I just watch videos pretty much. thank you.
No, LED is just more energy efficient than CCFL, and doesn't require the warm up cycle that CCFL does (short enough it really won't matter). CCFL can actually run brighter than LED's.

In terms of an IPS panel, your usage description here doesn't have a technical need for it (i.e. color accuracy), though they are easier on the eyes and generally speaking, preferable to TN panels (VA panel based monitor may be a good compromise, as TN's the worst out there, VA is in the middle, and IPS "...is the one that rules them all" ;)).

If all you're doing is watching video, I'm with allupons on this one; make sure your current card can't do 1080P before you swap it out, as IIRC, it should be able to do that smoothly on a 24" monitor.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
No, LED is just more energy efficient than CCFL, and doesn't require the warm up cycle that CCFL does (short enough it really won't matter). CCFL can actually run brighter than LED's.

In terms of an IPS panel, your usage description here doesn't have a technical need for it (i.e. color accuracy), though they are easier on the eyes and generally speaking, preferable to TN panels (VA panel based monitor may be a good compromise, as TN's the worst out there, VA is in the middle, and IPS "...is the one that rules them all" ;)).

If all you're doing is watching video, I'm with allupons on this one; make sure your current card can't do 1080P before you swap it out, as IIRC, it should be able to do that smoothly on a 24" monitor.

OK So is there a monitor you would suggest thats under $400 (IPS or VA) What should I look for in the Specs of the monitor I am going to buy? contrast? etc?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
OK So is there a monitor you would suggest thats under $400 (IPS or VA) What should I look for in the Specs of the monitor I am going to buy? contrast? etc?
Most of the time, the page on a particular monitor doesn't even tell you what it uses (may state IPS if it uses that, but those are typically more expensive units, as the panels are more expensive).

A good place for information on panels used in various monitors is TFT Central, so I'd recommend starting there (lots of good information, including the differences between the different panel types). From there, you can search out current pricing on models you're interested in, and see if they'll meet your budget.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
The one reason I like this monitor (Dell U2410) is because, it has a DVI and HDMI plus Displayport. Also includes USB on the monitor as well as a SD card reader. Also it is very sturdy from what I have seen and very adjustable. What do you guys think? how are the specs?
Link:
Dell U2410

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
The one reason I like this monitor (Dell U2410) is because, it has a DVI and HDMI plus Displayport. Also includes USB on the monitor as well as a SD card reader. Also it is very sturdy from what I have seen and very adjustable. What do you guys think? how are the specs?
Link:
Dell U2410
TFT Central has a review of it (here), and it's a decent monitor for what it is (H-IPS panel BTW). Should be fine for what you want to do with it. Not all that accurate (need to spend more, such as an HP LP2475W), but you could get a colorimeter that will help with that at a later time.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
TFT Central has a review of it (here), and it's a decent monitor for what it is (H-IPS panel BTW). Should be fine for what you want to do with it. Not all that accurate (need to spend more, such as an HP LP2475W), but you could get a colorimeter that will help with that at a later time.

Thank you. Also should I get a calibrator? Does it make a difference?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Thank you. Also should I get a calibrator? Does it make a difference?
That's up to you (particularly your wallet). But it will give you a more color accurate image if you do.

TFT Central even reviews units, so take a look. Given your usage, I wouldn't go crazy (there are units that are as little as ~$100, and go up from there). Some are meant to match screen outputs to printers, so avoid these (price is a big clue though, such as a neighborhood of $600 or so).

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
That's up to you (particularly your wallet). But it will give you a more color accurate image if you do.

TFT Central even reviews units, so take a look. Given your usage, I wouldn't go crazy (there are units that are as little as ~$100, and go up from there). Some are meant to match screen outputs to printers, so avoid these (price is a big clue though, such as a neighborhood of $600 or so).

I dont plan on buying on right away maybe a few months to save up. Also I like that it comes with a 3 year warranty. Also I found a thread on here where you can save on it from ebay and still get the warranty. I will buy the screen then if it needs calibrated I will have it done or buy a calibrator. thank you.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I dont plan on buying on right away maybe a few months to save up. Also I like that it comes with a 3 year warranty. Also I found a thread on here where you can save on it from ebay and still get the warranty. I will buy the screen then if it needs calibrated I will have it done or buy a calibrator. thank you.
:cool: NP. :)

BTW, you'd probably be able to set it satisfactorily by eye in the mean time, so don't go and hire someone to calibrate it for you if it's not absolutely necessary.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
:cool: NP. :)

BTW, you'd probably be able to set it satisfactorily by eye in the mean time, so don't go and hire someone to calibrate it for you if it's not absolutely necessary.

Yea thats what i was planning on doing. Set it up myself. and if i dont like it then pay someone lol I found some settings to maximize the screen so we will see how that works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.