Trading in 2010 13" MBP for 2011 13" MBP ... Worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adamantoise, Aug 4, 2011.

  1. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2011
    #1
    I have the base model 2010 Macbook Pro (C2D) and I considered selling it but haven't had much luck.

    Consequently, I've considered trading it in to Best Buy for $630 (it's pretty convenient despite being lowballed) and picking up one of the ones they have in stock (I want to avoid Lion, as it seems everyone is just complaining about it, besides, I love Snow Leopard).

    I will be picking up the base 13" i5 model and intend to upgrade the HDD to a Scorpio Black and the RAM to 8GB.

    Do you think this is an unwise move to make?

    I use my Macbook Pro for photo editing (Lightroom 3, ACR 6, PS CS5, Canon DPP) and Matlab scripting.

    The Core 2 Duo was snappy enough for me, but I don't want to bother putting in upgrades in an old machine. I'd rather have an i-series processor.

    How does the HD3000 compare to the 320M? I'll be adding in 8GB of RAM so that should be netting me 512MB of VRAM with the HD3000 correct?
     
  2. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2011
    #2
    I don't think $630 for a used 2010 base 13 MBP is a lowball offer at all. In fact, that's a great price.
     
  3. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    #3
    Doesn't really sound low-ball to me either. When you consider you'll be going from C2D to i5 or i7 (forget which one you said you were getting), I'd definitely do that! Best Buy is inconsistent in what they offer on trade-ins. I have had good luck with some devices, bad with others. There doesn't seem to be any consistency! Anyway, to answer your question, yes, I would take this offer and run!
     
  4. tekkietekkie macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2010
    #4
    I am pretty surprised BB offered that much to be honest, have them price match micro centers 999 price and your not spending to much to upgrade ;)
     
  5. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2011
    #5
    Using ebay pricing: $630 + 10% commission + $40 shipping cost = ~$740. Do you think you'd be able to sell it on ebay for higher than that for a base 13 2010? Seems unlikely.
     
  6. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

    JamesGorman

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2008
    Location:
    Winnipeg
    #6
    I don't know what pricing is like elsewhere and in the states. But his machine would be worth about 850 here. An original Alu MacBook can still fetch 700. With that being said though, Id go for it, anytime you can get more power I say go for it!
     
  7. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2009
    #7
    Seems low to me, see what they're going for on craigslist in your area. I would think closer to 800 in my area. I wouldn't even consider dealing with ebay.
     
  8. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2011
    #8
    Well the thing is I haven't been able to sell the laptop. I've been trying but no one seems to want it.

    That being said, I myself wouldn't pay $700 for a used 2010 MBP. But then again, my needs are different.

    The other question is whether I should stick with the Snow Leopard version or give Lion a shot.

    I can honestly do without the new features, and although I don't run legacy apps much, I would be more comfortable knowing I have Rosetta support.

    Does Lion come built in with NTFS support?
     
  9. cdubb80 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2011
    #9
    I did the upgrade you are talking about.

    I sold my 2010 13" MBP with 8 gb RAM upgrade for $900 and then bought the base 2011 13" MBP. Pretty happy with the exchange so far.

    I just figured that the upgrade in processor was worth the $200-300 difference. I was happy to get the price thought it's funny sometimes ppl are on craigslist trying to sell even older macbooks with worse specs for less.
     
  10. Ironsoccerman macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2011
    Location:
    Detroit, MI
    #10
    Wait

    If you can wait, i would suggest wait... because there are supposed to be second gen processors in a refresh (or possibly redesign) later this year.. yes, you may not get as much, but it will probably be out late october

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1204402:)
     

Share This Page